Help Setting Up Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LostInLife

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently purchased a 30 gallon tank (that came with its own stand and lid/light) , along with :
A heater.
A filter.
A test kit.
Gravel.
Tetra SafeStart.
And I have several different brands of chlorine and chloramine removers.
(If needed, I have no problem giving the brands of everything)

I have the tank in the area that its going to be in. I do not have decorations or fish yet, so water will not be put into it for another two weeks.
I know the basics; clean the tank out with only water, rinse the gravel then add (needs to be 1 - 2 inches deep), add the 'purified water' till its about half way full, and then add decorations. Continue filling. Assemble the tank together (heaters, filters, lights, etc.)
However, this Tetra SafeStart stuff is suppose to allow me to immediately add fish? I don't understand that part. I know they have to be the really hardy kind, so they can survive the process.

And then we come to the sort of fish going into my tank. I like the following :
Danios.
Discus.
Guppies.
Mollies.
Platies.
Plecos.
Tetras.

If you would be kind enough, could you tell me what is best suited to live together, and how many of each?
I'm not saying I want all these fish in my tank, I'm saying these are the sort that I have a penchant for. I've been told Discus will be a bit over my head for now.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Welcome to AA.

First off, you will want to read up on the Nitrogen Cycle and Fishless Cycling. It is the best way to establish a new tank. It will be far easier and less frustrating than using tetra safe start and adding fish straight away. The end result of this will most likely be daily partial water changes (PWCs) and fish deaths. This article is a great starting point:
Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

You have selected a wide variety of fish, all of which in some combination could be suitable for your tank size. However, there are a lot of different species within the groups you have listed above, so you will want to narrow down what specific fish you like and go from there (i.e. all Tetras are not the same).

Discus are beautiful fish, but require a lot of additional attention and specialized water parameters. My suggestion would be to start with some easier tropical fish, and then decide later on if you would like to give discus a try.

Welcome to AA.

First off, you will want to read up on the Nitrogen Cycle and Fishless Cycling. It is the best way to establish a new tank. It will be far easier and less frustrating than using tetra safe start and adding fish straight away. The end result of this will most likely be daily partial water changes (PWCs) and fish deaths. This article is a great starting point:
Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

You have selected a wide variety of fish, all of which in some combination could be suitable for your tank size. However, there are a lot of different species within the groups you have listed above, so you will want to narrow down what specific fish you like and go from there (i.e. all Tetras are not the same).

Discus are beautiful fish, but require a lot of additional attention and specialized water parameters. My suggestion would be to start with some easier tropical fish, and then decide later on if you would like to give discus a try.

I was originally going to do a fishless cycle, seeing as how thats what I read everywhere else. But the guy at the pet store told me that the SafeStart would be better. I believed him because he was really nice. However, I'll see if I can take it back.

The main fish I like is Guppies, but I will do as you recommended, and look up each 'genre' of fish and find a specific type I like. I'm not sure how far I'll get though.

+1 to fort

What filter are you using? -Make sure that your filters GPH (Gallons per hour) is 8 to 10 times more than what the volume of your aquarium is (In your case, you would be looking for around 300 GPH)-

What test kit are you using? -Make sure that it is a Liquid test kit, not test strips. Strips are highly inaccurate and give you false readings everytime-

As far as the Tetra Safe Start, like any other bacterial additive, It needs to be added with fish. That being said, with out the fish, the bottled bacteria will slowly die off because of lack of ammonia. I would just recommend to cycle without using TSS, it will be much more easier and less stressful.

This is everything that I have for my tank.

30 Gallon Tank And Stand.
Elite® Hush35 Power Filter. (35 Gal / 132 L)
Fluval® MI00 Submersible Glass Aquarium Heater. (Up to 30 Gal)
Fusion™ Smart Temp Aquarium Thermometer.
Estes’ SpectraStone® Premium Fresh Water Aquarium Aggregates. (30 pounds)
Aqueon™ Water Conditioner. (59 ml). Trial Size (10 ml)
Tetra Aqua™ AquaSafe® Water Conditioner. (50 ml)
Tetra Aqua™ Easy Balance™ Water Conditioner. (10 ml)
Tetra® Safe Start®. (100 ml)
API™ pH Aquarium Test Strips.
API™ pH Ammonia NH3 / NH4+ Test Kit.
Aqueon™ Tropical Flakes. (Trial Size)
TetraMin® Tropical Flakes. (Trial Size)
TetraMin® Variety Wafers, The Rich Mix. (Trial Size)

Researched your filter and It is only rated up to an 18-20 gallon (180 Gph), I would recommend getting another filter to double up your filtration to at least 300 gph or getting a new filter.

First thing I would do would be to get the API master test kit. I have never heard anything good about the test strips, very inaccurate.

You said you won't be filling your tank for two weeks? Is this because of the fish? If you started cycling now, you could have fully cycled water possibly by then, but it can take anywhere up to 8 weeks. If you are planning on doing a cycle with fish I would advise you to go fishless it is a lot less work. I'm cycling with fish now an it's nothing but PWC's daily to keep the fishies from stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

How much would another filter cost? I bought all my stuff as an Aquarium Pack and paid $200 for everything. I don't know individual prices or if the lid to my tank will be big enough to hold 2 filters. I can't take the filter back because as I said, it came with the tank and I have no intentions of taking it all back.

I most likely wont be filling my tank for 2 weeks because I don't have the money to buy accessories right now and I want to get everything in there at once instead of messing in 30 gallons of cycled water and screwing everything up.

Okay, so what should I see about taking back? Definitely the SafeStart, I'll do this fishless. The pH strips I'm sure I can't take back, I doubt the place will do that.

You wouldn't mess up the cycle if you added decorations later. The bacteria is formed in the filter and substrate. So if you fill it with water now get some industrial ammonia, you can find it at ace hardware ( shake it, if it doesn't foam it's good to use) and add a couple tsp a day it will help get you set up for when you get your fish and everything else.

If you want the best filter I would look into getting an aqua clear. There quiet and efficient. I love the two I have. For your tank it would be about 30-40$.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

1. Read up on fishless cycling. There's a link in my signature. It'll save you a lot of time and effort.

2. Get the API Freshwater Master test kit. It's much more accurate than the strips and it's a lot cheaper per test in the long run.

3. Get a bigger filter or a second filter. General rule of thumb is to get a filter rated for a tank that's twice as big as yours.

4. Do the fishless cycle. The waiting is agonizing, but it's quicker than cycling with fish and you don't have to worry about killing anything.

5. I didn't see a gravel vacuum or a python on your equipment list. If you don't have one, you should really get one. A python is a fantastic tool, but a little pricey.

6. As for your stocking ideas:
Danios - Good choice. Giant danios get too big for a 30g.

Discus - They're really not suited for a beginner or for a 30g tank. They're very sensitive and need absolutely perfect water conditions. I've been keeping fish for twenty years and I'm afraid I'd kill discus and that's something my wallet won't handle.

Guppies - They'll quickly overrun your tank if you get both males and females.

Mollies - Same as guppies.

Platies - Same as guppies.

Plecos - Avoid common plecos and most of the larger varieties. The dwarf varieties stay small enough for a 30g.

Tetras - They're schooling fish. Get at least 5 of whatever species you choose.

1. Read up on fishless cycling. There's a link in my signature. It'll save you a lot of time and effort.

2. Get the API Freshwater Master test kit. It's much more accurate than the strips and it's a lot cheaper per test in the long run.

3. Get a bigger filter or a second filter. General rule of thumb is to get a filter rated for a tank that's twice as big as yours.

4. Do the fishless cycle. The waiting is agonizing, but it's quicker than cycling with fish and you don't have to worry about killing anything.

5. I didn't see a gravel vacuum or a python on your equipment list. If you don't have one, you should really get one. A python is a fantastic tool, but a little pricey.

6. As for your stocking ideas:
Danios - Good choice. Giant danios get too big for a 30g.

Discus - They're really not suited for a beginner or for a 30g tank. They're very sensitive and need absolutely perfect water conditions. I've been keeping fish for twenty years and I'm afraid I'd kill discus and that's something my wallet won't handle.

Guppies - They'll quickly overrun your tank if you get both males and females.

Mollies - Same as guppies.

Platies - Same as guppies.

Plecos - Avoid common plecos and most of the larger varieties. The dwarf varieties stay small enough for a 30g.

Tetras - They're schooling fish. Get at least 5 of whatever species you choose.

1. I will definitely be doing a fishless cycle. Probable starting Wednesday.
2. I might get it. However, if I cannot take back what I already have then I probably won't.
3. The back of my lid/light only has room for one filter. I cannot take back the lid/light or the filter I have. I might have to settle with what I have.
4. -
5. I will get one when I actually need it. I won't be cleaning yet so I wont need it.

Thank you for your help. :)

I dont know what you have for a cover, but most can be cut to take a second filter. I just moved up to a 29 gallon and have two filters. I had to cut out a space for the second, when everything is set up you cant see it anyway so it is no problem.

I am going to 2nd the liquid test kit, to really know what is going on in the tank the API or other liquid kits are the only way to go.

You are right if you are going to cycle with no fish you dont need a gravel vac today, but bring one home with your fish when its time.

It has an area to cut out for one filter, but there is room to cut out another. However, the perforated edging that is there for the first will not be there for the second and I'm not sure how well scissors will work (I can use them on the first area). It also has an area for the heater.
Oh.... Um, is it a big deal if my tank is a 29 gallon and I call it 30? To me, one gallon isn't that much of a difference, but maybe it is? If so, I apologize. It is truly a 29 gallon, I just like to round up.

So I need to take back both my test kits and buy this new one that is liquid and does everything?

So tomorrow I am going to take back my tank (it has a crack in, still under warranty) and I need to buy :
Another filter like the one I have.
Ultimate test kit. :)
Haven't been told to but want to get it out of the way, accessories/ plants and a background.

Thats about it?

And thank you so much to everyone for helping me. I would have been so lost without it.

There is a difference between the two, the dimensions are somewhat similar, but as being not can change the gallons of the tank. One gallon can change a few things.

It would be great if you got the API master test kit, its worth it In My Opinion. Your supplies lists sounds good.

A 29g is a common standard tank with approximate dimensions: 30"L x 12"W x 18"T. I don't know of a standard 30g. Calling it a 29g will give people information without having to state it explicitly.

I prefer a glass canopy on my tank to limit evaporation and keep the fish in the tank.

Decorations are really a matter of taste. Stick to stuff intended for aquariums and you should be safe. If you're willing to do some research and testing, a lot of things can be placed in an aquarium safely.

If you've got enough lighting, live plants rock.

I don't know if you are still concerned about how to get a 2nd filter into your tank, but if you can get a box filter that is meant for a corner, has an airstone inside and connects to airline tubing, you can probably just fit the airline tubing into an existing opening at the top along with whatever else is stuck in it because it's thin. I have a cannister filter with tubing running into holes I cut into the covering of the tank. I have airline tubing (for an airstone) running through one of the holes & more tubing for a 2nd filter (which I'm preparing to use in a quarantine tank) running through another hole. I don't know if this will help you or not.

Back
Top Bottom