Help stocking 29 gallon FW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjs2115

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. New to the aquarium world. I've had a koi pond for 2 years, but I know it's night and day with aquarium fish and pond fish.

Anyways, I used media from my buddy's established, 40 gal tank. It's been a week now and my Ammonia is zero, Nitrates are zero and Nitrites are zero.
A few days ago I added 6 black skirt tetras. They all seem to be doing really well. Very active and they are eating well. The biggest one, the only white, is boss and has claimed the middle of the tank.
I am looking for stocking ideas.
I am thinking about putting in 2-3 Sunrise Platies, to give some color to the mid and top areas of the tank.
The tetras pretty much stay in the middle.
Plan on adding a few cory cats to the bottom in a few weeks. Eventually I'll probably add a pleco, once there is algae for him to eat.
How am I looking on my bio-load? What "centerpiece" fish can I add to make it look great? I was looking at maybe a male Dwarf Gourami. I have been reading a lot about Bolivian Rams also and that they are usually peaceful with schooling fish. Thoughts?
Can I do 3-4 Bosemani Rainbow, or is my tank to small? Same with Denison Barbs?

Thanks!!

Hey everyone. New to the aquarium world. I've had a koi pond for 2 years, but I know it's night and day with aquarium fish and pond fish.

Anyways, I used media from my buddy's established, 40 gal tank. It's been a week now and my Ammonia is zero, Nitrates are zero and Nitrites are zero.
A few days ago I added 6 black skirt tetras. They all seem to be doing really well. Very active and they are eating well. The biggest one, the only white, is boss and has claimed the middle of the tank.
I am looking for stocking ideas.
I am thinking about putting in 2-3 Sunrise Platies, to give some color to the mid and top areas of the tank.
The tetras pretty much stay in the middle.
Plan on adding a few cory cats to the bottom in a few weeks. Eventually I'll probably add a pleco, once there is algae for him to eat.
How am I looking on my bio-load? What "centerpiece" fish can I add to make it look great? I was looking at maybe a male Dwarf Gourami. I have been reading a lot about Bolivian Rams also and that they are usually peaceful with schooling fish. Thoughts?
Can I do 3-4 Bosemani Rainbow, or is my tank to small? Same with Denison Barbs?

Thanks!!

Hey there the platies should do fine with the tetras. I'd get a school of 6 corydoras of your choice as well, they are awesome. If you want a center piece fish I'd either do a pair of Bolivian rams or the gourami. Sadly the tank isn't large enough for bosemani rainbows or the barbs, they are just to active. There are some attractive dwarf rainbow species though that could probably work I just don't remember what they are called off the top of my head lol.

Thanks bribo12! I appreciate the advice.
I figured I was too small to get rainbows or Denisons. Sucks, because they are awesome to watch. Maybe when I upgrade!

Yeah denisons barbs are awesome, I've tried them in my 29 and they just got big and swam way to much so I gave them away to a bigger tank. Dumb mistake lol should of never gotten them I'd say a 4 foot tank minimum for them

And they aren't super cheap either, are they? Especially to be given away! haha.

Haha yeah $12 each and they were 2" when I got them! But gotta do what's right for the fish. Here's my 29 gallons stock
1 leopoldi angel
9 rummynose tetras
1 gold tiger pleco
1 spotted Raphael catfish
2 bumbleebee catfish
4 sterbai corydoras

I'm kinda a catfish nut lol

catfish are cool.
now do you think I could do a pair of angels, or would the skirted tetras bother their fins? I need somebody to take the top level of water. I believe the rams stick to the bottom. Not sure on the Gouramis.

Could I do.....?
6 skirted tetras
2 platies
1 Bolivian Ram
2 Angels
5-6 cats

is that too much for 29 gal?

I would just do 1 angel, they can get large and with 2 once they mature you may end up with a breeding pair or 2 males. Either way you will end up with a battleground in the tank. The rest of the stock looks fine though. You also said you wanted a pleco right? You could probably do a bristlenose in there as well if you just did the one angel.

I'd like a pleco, if there is room.
ok, I didnt know if angels needed companions or if they are okay swimming solo

Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom