Help stocking! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

valentim14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

I'm going to set up an Aquarium next month And I'm confused about the fishes I will be keeping...
It's a 15 gallon aquarium (+/- 60L)

I would appreciate if you guys could give me examples (a few options)

are you wanting schooling fish or a centerpiece fish?

I like nano fish so some small tetras like red ruby or ember tetras would be nice. some sparkling gouramis would be eye catching and some crystal red shrimp would be great bottom dwellers.

dwarf gouramis are fun, just make sure you get them from a reputable store. not petco or petsmart. dwarf gouramis have lots of genetic diseases if you get them from a bad source. Maybe a bottom feeder would be fun? you could get 6-8 pygmy corys. theyre cute and add a different dynamic and are very small schoolers.

I like nano fish so some small tetras like red ruby or ember tetras would be nice. some sparkling gouramis would be eye catching and some crystal red shrimp would be great bottom dwellers.

Those ember tetras look really cool but I think I won't be able to find them due to my localization...

Shrimps are definitely a thing. I've never had one...
Do you think that 3-4 shrimps, 6 Neons and 1 Dwarf Gourami are a good option?

hm the shrimp with the gourami might be a problem. it depends on the individual fish. you never know.

dwarf gouramis are fun, just make sure you get them from a reputable store. not petco or petsmart. dwarf gouramis have lots of genetic diseases if you get them from a bad source. Maybe a bottom feeder would be fun? you could get 6-8 pygmy corys. theyre cute and add a different dynamic and are very small schoolers.

I've read about dwarf gouramis problems but I think I have to try... I live in a small town in Portugal and nearby ... Well, there are no "reputable stores"...
I had corys before and for bottom level this time I think I'll go with shrimps. :)

Do you think that 1 colisa, 6 neons and 4 shrimps is ok or is it overpopulated?

the shrimp wont really be a problem. they have a tiny bioload. they will probably multiply quickly if you have good conditions. i started with 10 in a 15 and now i have probably 30-40. Only suggestion- try red cherry shrimp first. they are cheaper and more hardy. if you make mistakes and they die it will be a less expensive mistake. and people usually sell them for .50-$1 if you buy them from a person on here. Crystals are anywhere from 7-15$ for the standard ones. but no i dont think its too populated.

the shrimp wont really be a problem. they have a tiny bioload. they will probably multiply quickly if you have good conditions. i started with 10 in a 15 and now i have probably 30-40. Only suggestion- try red cherry shrimp first. they are cheaper and more hardy. if you make mistakes and they die it will be a less expensive mistake. and people usually sell them for .50-$1 if you buy them from a person on here. Crystals are anywhere from 7-15$ for the standard ones. but no i dont think its too populated.

I was going for red cherry instead of crystal, I prefer them over crystals. If they reproduce I'm not keeping the babies... I might eat them ahaha. :lol:
Just one last question. If shrimps have a tiny bioload then I was wondering if I could have 3 male guppies.. I really like guppies and I'm saying males bcz if not there would be a ton of fry :)

Therefore: 1 dwarf gourami + 6 neons + 3 guppies + 4 red cherry...
I think it's ok... Isn't it?
:hide:

i think i would do either gourami or the male guppies. probably not both. what kind of filtration do you have?

i think i would do either gourami or the male guppies. probably not both. what kind of filtration do you have?

Ok, gourami it is...
It's an intern filter (about 13x the aquarium capacity (55L)) its 720L/h)

If you're looking for a bottom swimmer you could maybe try and African dwarf frog... I'm not sure about keeping one with shrimp but I really enjoy mine:) also be sure you have lots of places for your neons to hide. I have a heavily planted tank and my dwarf gourami killed all but one of them as the males are very territorial/and chain stores don't sell females bc they are very dull in color. Also dwarf gouramis prefer a planted tank IME it makes them less skittish. Just a few things to think about. Good luck!

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom