Help Stocking a 20gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bradley1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, so my tank is (finally!) ready to add fish after cycling :) I have a 20 gallon tank and want to add 6 guppies and a bristlenose pleco. My question is: Can I stock them all at the same time or should I do it in stages? If so, how should I split them up for stocking? Which ones first and how many? -Thanks

Seeing it is a new tank I'd stock in the guppys, wait a week-two weeks an add the Pleco. I don't know if you plan to add male and female guppys, if not you still have some room for additional fish. Just a few suggestions for down the road next month. You may want to add a small school of harlequin rasbora, say 6-8 or emerald tetras. Either of those will give you some non-aggressive mid-tank action. For the bottom, you could do some cherry shrimp as long as you have aquascaping such as rock work, driftwood or plants-real or fake.

Seeing it is a new tank I'd stock in the guppys, wait a week-two weeks an add the Pleco. I don't know if you plan to add male and female guppys, if not you still have some room for additional fish. Just a few suggestions for down the road next month. You may want to add a small school of harlequin rasbora, say 6-8 or emerald tetras. Either of those will give you some non-aggressive mid-tank action. For the bottom, you could do some cherry shrimp as long as you have aquascaping such as rock work, driftwood or plants-real or fake.

Thanks! Yes, sorry... I should've mentioned. I do plan on trying to breed them (my first experience with this). So I'm planning on 2 males and 4 females. Although now that you've mentioned it, I will be getting a colony of red cherry shrimp soon so maybe I'll add some of those to help even out the tank. Thanks so much for the advice :)

Back
Top Bottom