Help stocking a 55 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muffincat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I will be getting a 55 gallon tank, and would like some help deciding what fish and how many to get. I also would like suggestions on certain plants and rock that are better for certain fish. I already have a common pleco I got from my friend who was keeping him in a 10 gallon:facepalm:, he is about 3 in.

I would prefer a peacefull community tank so I can have more fish, but also would like a rainbow or balla shark. Which fish are compatable?

I would like to avoid cichlids if possible, as I have read that they can be agressive and require extensive care, as well as more expensive filtration systems. No live plants either, because the pleco will eat them.

Well if you want peaceful, sharks are active fish. For the top maybe some platies or glofish. Middle you can have neon tetras, gold barbs, flame tetras. Bottom can have cory cats, hoarsface loach. What species of pleco is it. If it's common pleco or sailfin the 55 is too small.

Well if you want peaceful, sharks are active fish. For the top maybe some platies or glofish. Middle you can have neon tetras, gold barbs, flame tetras. Bottom can have cory cats, hoarsface loach. What species of pleco is it. If it's common pleco or sailfin the 55 is too small.

Thanks, I was thinking about 1 rainbow shark, 5 ghost catfish(would the shark bother them?), 6 hatchet fish, and various barbs and tetras.
As for the pleco, he is a common, but we can't find a larger home for him yet and I guess the 55 would still be better than the 10 gallon.....

Definitely rehome the pleco. If your lfs won't take him, then put an ad in Craigs List or on Freecycle.

Sharks are not a good idea for a 55, unless you get a single red tail shark. Balas need groups, the rainbow needs 75 gallons and will eat your small fish.

You'd be better off picking a different, more peaceful, centerpiece fish.

Back
Top Bottom