Help Stocking My 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello Fellow Fish Lovers! :fish2:
I recently set up my new 55g (48"x12"x21") and it has been running for about 2 months. The tank was cycled with old filter media from my 36g Bowfront.

Currently I am running a Top Fin 60 and Aquaclear 50 on my 55g. I am thinking of swapping my Top Fin for my Aquaclear 70 that is on my 36g. I also plan on getting a Koralia powerhead for more waterflow (if needed). Thoughts?

I will have live plants, mainly swords, crypts, and sag, I have 80lbs of Black Eco-Complete as substrate, and do 30-50% water changes weekly. My water is in the High PH range (8-8.4) I do use API's freshwater master test kit. I currently have no C02 (too costly right now), but will be dosing liquid C02 and dry ferts.

As of now, I have:
2 Boesemani Rainbows (1M/1F)
2 Turqoise Rainbows (unsure of sex)
1 Goyder River Rainbow (unsure of sex)
4 Julii Cory Cats

I know that fish of the same species will have a better chance of shoaling, but I have read of many people keeping mixed rainbow tanks with success, so I have opted to go this route. I would love to up the number of Boesemani's, but can do with just the 2 I have now. My stocking list looks like this so far:

STOCKING (open to other options)
5 Boesemani (2M/3F)
2 Turqoise
2 Goyder River
6 Cory Cats
5 Oto's
and possibly 10+ Rummynose Tetras

I am dead set on rainbows, and was wondering if my current stock list is overcrowded, or if anyone sees any potential problems.

Any and all thoughts/suggestions are appreciated! :thanks:

that is a bit overstocked. I would have less tetras or less of something else. because rainbows are pretty big, and grow to 4 inches, to my understanding.

that is a bit overstocked. I would have less tetras or less of something else. because rainbows are pretty big, and grow to 4 inches, to my understanding.

Thanks for your post! I thought it might be overstocked. I just don't get how people are keeping 10+ rainbows and other fish in a 55. Well for the happiness and health of my fish, I think I will not get as many.

New idea is to get only 1 more Goyder river to make 6 rainbows total. Do you think the rest of my stocking would work, or should I still get rid of something?

Thanks for your input!

I love rummynose tetras. I used to have 10 and now I only have 3 left after 2 years. If you can't find 10+ tetras, I would go with black tetras (which I have now). Got them on sale for a $1 each so I bought 24, and now have about 20 left. They look very nice when they school together. I've never had otos. Are they pretty or are they just bottom cleaner fish? I would add two bristelnose plecos as they are great cleaners. To add these fish you need to delete some from your list.

Decrease the amount of boesemani to two.

Thanks for your advice!
When you say reduce the amount of Boesemani to 2, do you mean do not add anymore?

Would I still be able to add one more Rainbow (not Boesemani) to my current stock?

I love rummynose tetras. I used to have 10 and now I only have 3 left after 2 years. If you can't find 10+ tetras, I would go with black tetras (which I have now). Got them on sale for a $1 each so I bought 24, and now have about 20 left. They look very nice when they school together. I've never had otos. Are they pretty or are they just bottom cleaner fish? I would add two bristelnose plecos as they are great cleaners. To add these fish you need to delete some from your list.

That's great to hear! I know of a place that should be getting new stock in on Thursday. I went last week but they only had 2, and I want to be able to get them all at once. However, the black skirts may be another option as the Rummy's go for about $3 a fish. Oto's aren't really what I would call "pretty," but they are great algae cleaners. Also they stay relatively small. I would get a BN Pleco or two, but I want to add to my school of 4 Julii Cories, and I'm not sure how they would do with a Pleco. I had Cories with my Clown Pleco in my 36g, and the Pleco would chase away the Cories whenever they got near his corner where there is a nice piece of driftwood.

Thanks for your suggestions! :D

So now my stock list looks like this:

2 Turquoise Rainbows
2 Goyder River Rainbows
6 Cory Cats
4-5 Oto's
10+ Rummynose or any other relatively small Tetra.

Still overstocked?

Or if anyone out there has any suggestions for any other fish that might/would be more compatible with my current stock, I'm all ears!

Your rainbows grow to 4"? I would say that the tank looks overstocked. I would stick with the 1"/gallon. Rummynose grow to 1.5", corycats 1.5" to 2", otos?

So now my stock list looks like this:

2 Turquoise Rainbows
2 Goyder River Rainbows
6 Cory Cats
4-5 Oto's
10+ Rummynose or any other relatively small Tetra.

Still overstocked?

Or if anyone out there has any suggestions for any other fish that might/would be more compatible with my current stock, I'm all ears!

I think this list could work but I think you should remove one type of rainbow.

Thanks for all the input!

So I'm thinking of not removing or adding anymore rainbows. Instead I think I'm going to move my 3 harlequin and 2 black rasboras from my 20g to the 55.

My new, NEW stock idea looks like this:
2 boesemani
2 turqoise
1 goyder river
6 cory cats (maybe just 5 instead)
5 otos (or other algae either, thoughts?)
and 10 rasboras

What does everyone think about this new list? Also, any other suggestions are welcome!

Your rainbows grow to 4"? I would say that the tank looks overstocked. I would stick with the 1"/gallon. Rummynose grow to 1.5", corycats 1.5" to 2", otos?

Otos is otocinclus catfish. Scientific name is otocinclus vittatus. They stay pretty small, some only up to 4cm

It's a good starting point for any tank. Have you heard of a better "rule of thumb"?

I certainly mean no disrespect by this but the best rule of thumb is to simply research. The reason why we wouldn't want to put a ten inch oscar in a 10 gallon tank is similar to how one wouldn't want to own a great dane while living in a tiny studio apartment and never going outside. The inch-per-gallon is not the worst rule of thumb to use, but it is a little outdated.

It's a good starting point for any tank. Have you heard of a better "rule of thumb"?

Don't mean to be rude here, but it is not a good starting point for any tank. Every fish is different, in size, in bioload, etc. A one inch guppy has a much higher bioload than a one inch neon tetra, or one inch endler.

I think when starting a new tank, it's good to start SOMEWHERE, as to NOWHERE. He's made a list of fish he's thinking of placing into this tank. Now he needs to see how large they get to see if he's going over the 1"/limit. If he is, then he can do some research into bioloads, etc. I'm not a newbie at this, and this is how I plan a tank.

I think when starting a new tank, it's good to start SOMEWHERE, as to NOWHERE. He's made a list of fish he's thinking of placing into this tank. Now he needs to see how large they get to see if he's going over the 1"/limit. If he is, then he can do some research into bioloads, etc. I'm not a newbie at this, and this is how I plan a tank.

I'm not going to fight with you, and these will be my last words on this thread.
I am not a newbie either, and I find it quite disrespectful for you to insult me like that. We may each have our ways, but you will find many agree with me. Go right ahead and stick an Oscar, some African cichlids, and some neons together according to your rule. See how it goes.

I'm not going to fight with you, and these will be my last words on this thread.
I am not a newbie either, and I find it quite disrespectful for you to insult me like that. We may each have our ways, but you will find many agree with me. Go right ahead and stick an Oscar, some African cichlids, and some neons together according to your rule. See how it goes.

I never said it's a "rule" it's a "rule of thumb", like a guideline, to be a part of the planning of a tank, not the be all and end all. I agree with you that you need to consider bioload and the mix of fish. They have to be compatible. In regards to this thread, the fish keeper has already made a decision on what he wants, and now he needs to do some research to see if the tank can accommodate.

Back
Top Bottom