Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question help! stocking new 29 gallon freshwater tank.

hi, i am getting a 29 gallon tank sometime, which will me my first real aquarium, yippy!. anyway i was planning on stocking the tank with these fish:
5 bleeding heart tetras,
5 tiger barbs,
4 bronze corydoras,
3 dwarf coral platys,
1 gourami and if there is room 5 serpea tetras, but i dought there will br room. what do you think about this stocking plan? too many fish? please any advice is welcome!

Old 04-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Don't mix serpae tetras with tiger barbs! They ll fight each other.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I hate to say this about my little guys, but I would avoid serpaes. Mine think that they are piranhas.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tiger barbs are best suited to a 55 gal or larger semi aggresive tank, IMHO. I don't think they would mix well with your gourami. Otherwise the list is good. For the bleeding hearts I would add one more so you have 6. Most tetras thrive in groups of 6 or 7. You didn't specify which type gourami, I would go with a dwarf..the larger ones like opaline get too big for a 29. It's possible a dwarf gourami and the bleeding hearts may not get along so I would have a back up plan i.e. being prepared to take one back to the store if they fight.

Tags
29 gallon, freshwater, freshwater tank, stocking, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com