Help :( water problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garrettasdf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok, so i just started a new 30 gallon tank 3 days ago. I used 30 pounds of fluorite as a base for my live plants im going to be adding and hope to get from my storing tank to this one soon. with the fluorite i am aware that there will be some fogginess in my tank but i have been filtering and added the precise amount of tetra aqua clarifier. The bag says it takes 2-12 hours to settle out. So i figure thats a low range of time lol. But i allowed it to filter and settle out for 3 days now and did a second clarifier treatment. But to no avail. The water is very murky and i cannot see through it very well.... Suggestions please? i would really like to move on to stabilizing my plants before i have to be gone for 5 days, and i want the plants to be settled in before i go to get my fish... Please help me! thx :oops:

Since there is nothing in the tank. Do a large water change 80-90% just dont stir up the flourite again.

Yes, change out some of the water. When adding new water, you could use a pitcher and add it slowly from a 5G bucket. Or if you have a python, do it so it doesn't stir up the bottom.

And whatever you do, stop using the Clarifier. They don't work and only mask the problem. I would do as suggested and do water changes to reduce the cloudiness.

oh... well i did about a 90% like you said and instead of a plate this time i took a pane of glass and had my gf hold it against the side of the aquarium and poured it down the glass. Worked like a champ! There is almost no fog in my tank any more =)

Question: 30gallon tank, 30lbs of flourite...and that's your ONLY substrate?

If so, that's not enough. You want at least 2.5" of depth on your substrate for the plants to have enough rooting space.
I've found that 2lbs of substrate per gallon of standard rectangle tank is usually about right, gets you close to 3".

Thus, shallow tanks with a bigger footprint need more than 2lbs per gallon, and tall tanks (especially hexagonal tanks) need less, since they have less area to fill with gravel.

the depth at the bottom of my tank is a little over 2"... thats the fluorite. I put a about a half inch layer of black tank rock on top as well... will that be enough? or do i need any more? if so, will i have to refill my tank with water again? 8O

Back
Top Bottom