Help White Spot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Virginfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I wonder if anybody can help.

I have a new 18 gallon tank roughly a month old, i have 1 molly and 2 guppies. The molly has now come down with white spot. i therefore went out and got some medicine from the local aquatic store.,was told to remove the carbon filter and whack the temperature up to 28 degrees C.
Recently noticed the molly was behaving differently so i went and got the water tested. The store said that my water levels are very high and surprised the fish are still alive and it would take up to 3 weeks to get back to normal. Also to do a 10% water change every 3-4 days and top up the bacteria booster every 3 days. My question is do i put my carbon filter back in? As not sure if i should leave it out for 3 weeks as the white spot might not go away till the tank has cycled again.

Well, if you don't get rid of the ich, your fish will die, and if you don't get rid of the ammonia, your fish will die. So the best thing to do IMO, is to raise the temp to 86*F for 10 days to 2 weeks, and do pwc's of 50% every day, putting the same temp in as you took out. The carbon is really only there to remove meds, as it doesn't do much else.

By "top up the bacterial booster" do they mean use a bacterial suppliment? If so, I highly recommend to not do that. For cycling a fishless tank, I would completely agree but not one with fish. I used one of those before with my water changes on 2 tanks and lost darn near every fish in the tanks because it sent it into another full cycle. It took weeks for the tanks to stabilize. These were already cycled tanks too.

I would go with what dkpate suggested. Don't use any additives at all except dechlor. If you use meds for the ich, it can kill of the good bacteria that you want.

Back
Top Bottom