Help with 29 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nonniecita

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I started my 29 gal fish tank with 2 Marigold swordfish and 3 pearl danios on 12/31. I had tried to fishless cycle and gave up. They are all healthy and none have died. I change the water 15-20 percent weekly and they seem very happy. The levels are all at 0 except Nitrate, which stays at 20ppm...pH stays at 7.6. Does it sound like the tank is cycled? Would it be safe to add more fish now? Any suggestions on what/how many to add?

Thanks so much!!!!!

How long has your tank had those parameters?

Since I added the fish...12/31!

I think I must have had some beneficial bacteria in the tank from when I was trying to fishless cycle it.

Yeah it looks fine. As long as around 4 ppm ammonia goes to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in 24 hours you are good.

Yeah it looks fine. As long as around 4 ppm ammonia goes to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in 24 hours you are good.

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I did not fishless cycle the tank. I tried to, but couldn't get it right and decided to cycle the tank with fish. All of the levels are at 0 (except Nitrate which has remained at 20ppm every check).

Thanks!

Oh, sorry. I was reading way too fast! :D

Anyway, yes you are cycled! I have some good and bad news for you:

The bad news is that Celestial Pearl Danios are really shy and don't do well with other fish, especially not big ones. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it'll be difficult.

The good news is that you're cycled, which you already heard I guess...

Here's an article on them:

Danio margaritatus – Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) — Seriously Fish

Oh, sorry. I was reading way too fast! :D

Anyway, yes you are cycled! I have some good and bad news for you:

The bad news is that Celestial Pearl Danios are really shy and don't do well with other fish, especially not big ones. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it'll be difficult.

The good news is that you're cycled, which you already heard I guess...

Here's an article on them:

Danio margaritatus – Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) — Seriously Fish

Ha! Not a problem. :)

I guess that's what I get for taking fish advice from the person at the lfs. Thanks for the article! I am planning on getting all smaller, peaceful fish if that helps.

Yeah, the LFS employees, unfortunately, scarcely are proficient in our aquatic world. Unless you really trust the employees, don't listen to them.

So, if you were in my situation what fish would you add? :) I will probably get 3 more pearl danios and maybe a couple more marigold swordfish. Maybe some cory's?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Well if the CPDs do work out then you could potentially do 8 of them (the more the better because of shyness) and add one more 1 more swordTAIL. :LOL: Then add a school of corys and probably call it a day. Maybe add a centerpiece fish or a small school of otos as well.

Well if the CPDs do work out then you could potentially do 8 of them (the more the better because of shyness) and add one more 1 more swordTAIL. :LOL: Then add a school of corys and probably call it a day. Maybe add a centerpiece fish or a small school of otos as well.

Swordfish...hehehe.

So, this is what I'm thinking...

6 pearl danios
3 swordtails
5 corys
2 pearl gourami
a snail or two

Sound okay?

I think it would be fine if you scratch one pearl. And I don't recommend even one because they are like 10 times bigger then the CPDs.

Sounds good. I think this is better.

6 pearl danios
3 swordtails
6 corys
5 flame tetras
a snail or two

Back
Top Bottom