Help with a new aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kel1971

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am very new to the fish world and have been reading and reading about how to set up an aquarium properly and I have to say there is so much information it's a bit confusing to this newbie!

We started with an aquarium we have had in storage for a long time. Cleaned it up and set it up and the first fish we put in it are dying. I put 3 platies in last night and their gills started turning red after a short time. Today 2/3 are gone and the last one is not looking so well.
It's a 30 gallon tank with heater and filter and live plants. We had it up and running for just over a week before introducing some fish. I've read about cycling with fish and without. So thought we would start with a few fish now I can see that's not such a good idea.
We have tested the water and the nitrates and nitrites are 0 but alkalinity and pH are high.
Does anyone have any ideas why the fish's gills were turning red or any suggestions on what we can do moving forward?

I don't think so. We didn't use anything to clean it other than water. We used water and vinegar on the outside. (Maybe that is the issue, maybe some got in it?)
There was a lot of dust in it from being in storage though.

Where did you get the feesh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Definitely not a cycling issue. Perhaps some of the vinegar did not wash off?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm thinking if the last fish does not make it, maybe we will just empty it and start over.
What us the best way to properly clean out a tank and start from scratch?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Try running some carbon - this might soak up any poisonous compound. It won't help with ammonia so I would pick up a test kit to check that one.

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=580#.Vrqlw1_CanM

Otherwise washing with vinegar and washing that off should do it for a restart. Last one I can think of would be when you pick up the fish to make sure you acclimatise them to your new tank water. Hope your tank goes well.

What's your ammonia reading and are you using test strips or the liquid tests?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can i ask why you used vinegar.... Did you use same cloth to wipe of the vinegar and clean inside?

Sent from my HUAWEI Y360-U31 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.
Our last little platy is still alive!! She is swimmimg around however she isn't really eating that I have noticed. Doesn't really look in distress anymore though.
We have been monitoring the ammonia and nitrates and doing about a 10-25 % water change every day. So far so good.
Tonight the ammonia was 0 and the nitrites about .25 (with the test strips). So will do another water change tonight.
Adams84, we used a vinegar water solution to clean the outside glass as it was very dusty and dirty. Instead of using a cleaner. And no we didn't use the same cloth on inside.

Yeah guessed it was used to clean tank walls.. I have never heard of using vinegar before, although just read up on it and it seems quite common, especially with a saltwater spray.

Ive only ever used salt an vinegar on my chips!

Nothing wrong with using vinegar to clean the tank. It's a very simple weak acid that is very similar chemically to pH down for aquariums. Dumping a tablespoon of vinegar in a 55 would only slightly lower pH and alk, for a short while. So any that may have gotten into the tank will cause no harm.
Fish issues probably came from ammonia burning of the gills (which is why may won t do fish in cycling).

Get a proper test kit tho. Test strips should only be used for pools and hot tubs.

It would take more than a single night for ammonia to build up to a level where it can burn the gills. And with just 3 fishes. Seems like a different issue to me.

Chlorine? Are you putting tap water in without letting it sit over night or adding via hose and not using a declhorinator? That can be lethal in smaller tanks and definitely turn gills

Yeah guessed it was used to clean tank walls.. I have never heard of using vinegar before, although just read up on it and it seems quite common, especially with a saltwater spray.

Ive only ever used salt an vinegar on my chips!

Its great; works like an aquarium friendly version of CLR for removing scale and mineral buildup off filter parts and hoods. Still takes elbow grease though... and sometimes soaking. Rinse thoroughly after as to not expose fish

Just an update!
Our little platy is still doing well. Testing every day. Tonight ammonia 0 nitrite is .25 nitrate is 5 using the liquid tests. Doing another water change tonight as we have been daily.
I saw somewhere on this site a post that explained how much of a water change to do based on the water readings and now I can't find it. If anyone knows the link I am referring to can you let me know.
And we have well water so no chlorine in the water. And we always use the water conditioner.
Thanks again everyone!

Hi again! Looking for some more advice from this knowledgeable group!
We have had the tank set up now for about 3 weeks and our little platy is still doing well. We just introduced 3 tetras and they too seem to be doing good.
We have been testing the water daily and doing about a 10-25 % water change almost daily.
The ammonia is always 0 and the nitrites are always around .25 and the nitrates around 5.
Is this normal?
I thought the nitrites were suppose to be 0 too?
Is there anything we can do to bring down the nitrites?
Should we continue to do daily water changes or start doing weekly?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!?

Hello, I have a question to ask about the fish, and trying to figure out how to solve fish from dying. I have 10 guppies and bought from pet supermarket. The problem is my guppies are dying each hour. I have stuffs to keep fish tank to stabilize but I don't understand why my guppies die from what. I need help with this, is there anything help guppies from dying? What kind of salt to use for guppies and do I have to restart over again to pour the water out of tank? I have pH, ink, Algae, remove Chlo, filter, air filter, and I don't know what else I was supposed to use for guppies. Maybe there's something wrong with it. Can you please help me what to do? I love guppies because they are keeping me calm and relaxed every time I watch my guppies. It's help with blood pressure, mood and anxiety. Please let me know asap. If you explain to me everything then I should have to restart the tank and buy guppies without dying . Thanks Crystal (sisgurl1).

Hey kel1971
Here is a link you may find useful... http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

It would indicate that as your 3 weeks in. Your nitrites being at 5 is because the cycle hasnt yet developed enough bacteria to turn to nitrates. I would stop doing water changes daily and let the bacteria grow. Doing it daily is not a terrible thing but it is most likely slowing your cycle down ...especially if your cleaning gravel... once every 3 days until your comfortable to do it weekly would be an option

Hi again! Looking for some more advice from this knowledgeable group!
We have had the tank set up now for about 3 weeks and our little platy is still doing well. We just introduced 3 tetras and they too seem to be doing good.
We have been testing the water daily and doing about a 10-25 % water change almost daily.
The ammonia is always 0 and the nitrites are always around .25 and the nitrates around 5.
Is this normal?
I thought the nitrites were suppose to be 0 too?
Is there anything we can do to bring down the nitrites?
Should we continue to do daily water changes or start doing weekly?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!��

Nitrites should be 0 too you are correct. At that level not an issue for common hardy fish so you could try easing up on the water changes and if you get a spike, go back to daily water changes.

As the tank matures the bacteria should get nitrites to 0, I think you're tank is still cycling and will take another month to really settle down.

Water changes are generally always best but just in case, have you tested tap water (sorry, if already mentioned above).

Back
Top Bottom