Help with Apple Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caribou

Aquarium Advice Freak
:cry: I had a couple of apple snails in my tank a few months ago. They seemed to be doing really well and were pretty active wtih the lights on. I lost them when I had to move them to a spare tank when I had to treat ich. The heater in the smaller 10 gal went waco and the snails were dead one morning. My main tank (90 gal.) has since been cured of ich. I used a copper type product but have done many PWC and added charcoal to my filter to remove any remaining meds. My replacement snails don't last more than two days. My fish are thriving and healthy (angels, clown loaches, one pleco, two gouramis, platies). Any ideas? Water params are Ph 7.5 GH 10 Ammonia-0. I RO water with tap to keep my nitrates down.

When you find them dead are their shells empty. The only thing I can think of are the clown loaches. I know they love pond snails, so maybe they eat apple snails?

HTH

well when one of my snails died the only thing that was in the tank was a goldifsh and a dojo loach. and i didnt see them pulling them out

I don't think the clown loaches are the problem, the snails are in their shells but are open and unresponsive (dead). The snails are also rather large, about the size of a quarter. Is it possible that some of the copper meds could be retained in my drift wood? I know that they are sensistive to both copper and salt. The snails came with a 30 day gaurantee so I can get replacements, but I'd like to figure out whats causing the problem.

Other than clown loaches, the only problem can be copper. I know that there are test kits for copper, etc, etc. It might be a good idea to purchase one.

HTH

Have you scrubbed ornaments, plastic plants or rocks and driftwood, as meds will sometimes stick to these. It is always good idea to do this after using meds. HTH

Back
Top Bottom