Help with correctly cycling a 55 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SciFyDi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about the timeframe for cycling a 55 gallon tank? I completely set up my tank about two days ago. I used both API stress coat and API stress Zyme when I filled the tank. I also siphoned about a gallon of tank water in from my established five gallon.

Should I just test weekly and add begin to add fish when I see the nitrite levels start to drop? When I did my five gallon I cycled with my Betta in the tank. I had no idea about the nitrogen cycle. I have guppies and an Asian algae eater that are moving into the 55 gallon. Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

The water will hold little if any usable bacteria and is likely not much help.
Try adding some substrate [in a bag] or even hard scape or part of the existing filter from the 5 g..
I am unaware of stress coat or stress zyme being of any value as a cycling aide ?
You need a source of ammonia to kick start the bacteria..

Hello Sci...

You can have fish in the tank from the beginning if you use some hardy species to cycle it. Or, cycle the tank instantly with some filter media from an established tank. The local pet store typically has some they'll let you have for nothing or beg some from a friend that has a tank.

B

Second time doing a recycle

Hi,
Thanks guys for replying. So this is my second time trying to do a tank cycle. The aquatech filter that came with the tank leaked. I had a feeling I needed to check on it early in the morning. I came in to my aquarium room to find the carpet soaked and water running down my walls. My aquarium stand is now also warped ugh. The filter was pouring water from the back of the power cord. After I got the mess cleaned up I called the filter company who said they would send me a new filter in seven to ten days.

I would have drained the tank since I had no filter but I was worried about the plants I had in there. I left an air stone running to see if that would help circulate the water. So the water probably sat for a week. I got the new filter in the mail today and also a decent Marineland one.

I drained all the water out of the tank. It is pretty slimy on the bottom which I’m concerned about but there was no colored build up or anything. I filled up the tank and got both filters working. The Marineland filter has two slots for filters. You can use double the filters in each side if you want so I just took a used filter cartridge from my five gallon tank and put it in one of the cartridge spots. It basically is just floating around in there.

I did order some quick start but I’m wondering if I should use it or not. I read something about it leading to unstable water parameters in the long run.

Thank you,
Diane

Back
Top Bottom