Help with cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurieb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks,

I have a 20 gal goldfish tank that has been fish-in cycling for 12 weeks. I have a penguin biowheel 100 and a pond pump in it. It's been in the nitrite phase for a while now and I really want to help it along.

I have a 10 gal cycled tropical tank with a lot of media in the filter. I have a new aquaclear 70 that I am adding to the goldfish tank. My original idea was to take some cycled media from the tropical filter to seed the new ac70 to help the cycle complete.
Will this work or is the 10 degree temp difference btwn the 2 tanks too much?

Would it be better to just put the ac70 in a bucket (don't have another tank) and do a fishless cycle with ammonia on it?

Are there any other options to get the cycle to complete on my goldie tank? I am doing daily water changes with prime and it's just getting old. I wish I had known about the fishless cycle 12 weeks ago!

Thanks in advance for any input!

Well you seem to ignore that goldfish need at least 30 gallon to live properly. Don't worry, just return them to the store and buy a cycle booter bacteria bottle, IMO seachem stability or API quiqckstart work very well. Leave the tank alone working for a few weeks and it will be ready.

To answer your question. Yes you can seed the new filter but I would keep the old one running as well for maybe a week or two.

Keep up on water changes, back to back if needed to your levels are manageable. Test often and feed lightly.

I agree with Convict2161, just add the ac70 to the goldfish tank with the seeded media. I don't think a 10 degree change is going to be a huge problem, and if it is then you don't lose anything by trying.

Joe, there are different consensus out there as to how big of a tank goldfish need. I'm going with the 1 gal per 2.5 inches of fish theory so at present my 2 guys have plenty of room. I will upgrade when they are ready.

Thanks convict! I plan on keeping both filters in the tank and I am already testing and water changing every so keeping up won't be an issue.
How much media should I take out of the cycled filter? I have it stuffed with foam now. I certainly don't want to cause a spike in that tank!

Joe, there are different consensus out there as to how big of a tank goldfish need. I'm going with the 1 gal per 2.5 inches of fish theory so at present my 2 guys have plenty of room. I will upgrade when they are ready.

Thanks convict! I plan on keeping both filters in the tank and I am already testing and water changing every so keeping up won't be an issue.
How much media should I take out of the cycled filter? I have it stuffed with foam now. I certainly don't want to cause a spike in that tank!

Just cut a piece out and place it in the other filter. Maybe the size of your fist.

Also I'm not getting into the size of the tank and I'm not going to start lecturing on what fish belong in what size tank etc etc etc. the thread topic is about helping with the cycle. The OP is asking about filters, new filter and the tank. NOT About what fits in what size tank.

We can save that for another thread. Going off topic will only result in the thread being closed or posts being removed.

Lets stay onboard and help the OP with the topic at hand.

Thank you, I sure hope it works. The new filter is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

What I meant so say is because goldfish are way too messy for small tanks, but anyway. And about the seeded filter media there is no problem in doing so. The tank will be ready soon just keep testing

Thanks Joe. They are definitely messy, that's why I bought the other filter!

I finally got the new filter. It's an aquaclear 50 which has a layer of foam and then bio balls...I'm leaving out the carbon section.
Where should I put seeded foam from my other cycled tank? I was thinking between the foam and bio balls. Thanks!

I finally got the new filter. It's an aquaclear 50 which has a layer of foam and then bio balls...I'm leaving out the carbon section.
Where should I put seeded foam from my other cycled tank? I was thinking between the foam and bio balls. Thanks!

It doesn't really matter where you place it, but if you prefer put it there

That's a good idea and thats where id put it, somewhere in the middle.

Ok, so last night I took a small piece of foam out of my cycled tank to seed the new filter in the other tank and I spiked it. It has between 0-.25 ammonia and btwn 0-.25 nitrite, 0 nitrate. I just did a 50% water change and treated with prime.
My thought is to not feed the rest of the day, keep testing and water change as necessary. Hopefully it'll level out quickly. Sound good?

Thanks! I hope it levels out, the last thing I need is 2 broken cycles!

Back
Top Bottom