Help with Filter media!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McCoveyCove

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm starting my 20 gallon's cycle next week which will eventually house a seperated betta, 6 zebra danios and a platy. I bought the tank and filter used on Craigslist and have since lost the bio-fiber in the AquaTech 10-20 filter. I was wondering where I could get this bio-fiber and what to use in replacement of the traditional filter cartridges since I've heard having to replace those can cause a mini cycle. I was also thinking of adding a pre-filter sponge and another sponge filter on my betta's side if that adds anything. I was also wondering if anyone know where I can get any of these things used to help kick start my cycle?
Also if any of this matters. I'll be having driftwood and some live plants but those will be added later in the cycle.

I'm starting my 20 gallon's cycle next week which will eventually house a seperated betta, 6 zebra danios and a platy. I bought the tank and filter used on Craigslist and have since lost the bio-fiber in the AquaTech 10-20 filter. I was wondering where I could get this bio-fiber and what to use in replacement of the traditional filter cartridges since I've heard having to replace those can cause a mini cycle. I was also thinking of adding a pre-filter sponge and another sponge filter on my betta's side if that adds anything. I was also wondering if anyone know where I can get any of these things used to help kick start my cycle?
Also if any of this matters. I'll be having driftwood and some live plants but those will be added later in the cycle.

1. There are many options for filter media. Poly fill, ceramic rings, bio balls, cut to size filter media. They all work with varying degrees of success. The thing to know is that you only need to replace a filter if its falling apart. Otherwise a quick rinse in removed tank water is all it needs.

2. Pre filter sponges can be a good thing. It wouldn't hurt to add them.

3. Bottled bacteria is sketchy at best and at worst can cause BB tank crashes. I would suggest going to a LFS (not big chain store) and asking for a handfull of gravel or piece of filter material so you can start a fishless cycle.

I got my aquatech 20-40 (and tank!) used too, missing the bio fiber as well. The only place I have seen one, pretty much exactly like the original, is from foster and smith and you just cut it down to size. At petsmart they told me to get to fluval ones and thin it out but they're too thin-width wise and too much trouble for me. I've read some people using poly fiber in its place too. I am personally ordering the one from foster and smith my next order of flea meds for the fur babies! Only 3 bucks. But I also want to upgrade to the aqua clear fluval 50. Those look nice.

Oh and Walmart has the filter media for the aqua techs.

I had the same problem when i first started several years ago. I would suggest unless you are just dead set on the aqua tech filter there are far superior filters on the market for a very reasonable price such as the aqua clear power filters made by Hagen or the Aquea filters. The aqua clear filter has a sponge that never gets changed only occassionaly washed out with cycled water and then bio max that is housed in its own container that only needs changing every three months so you dont loose all of your bacteria in your filter when you change the bio max out since the sponge will also house bacteria. The aqueon filters have cartridges that are changed every four to six weeks but they also have a wet dry mechanics built in that will also house bacteria so you don't loose all of your bacteria when you change the cartridge. I would recommend one of those filters instead of the aqua tech.

Back
Top Bottom