Help with Filter Media (Fluval 405)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my first Canister system..

I am getting ready to fill my 50g but wanted to figure out what media to use

According to Fluval I have the sponges on the side and then 4 compartments. 2 Have BioMax and 2 have Carbon, is this okay to start with?

Also I wanted to use some media from my sons tank to seed my new tank. Question is where do I put it?

(he has a 10 Gal with Aqueon Filter) so I would cut the media off the plastic mount to put it in the Fluval. I think it would go with the BioMax but wanted to check

Skip the Carbon ... only really needed if you need to remove meds or tannins from the water. I have 100% Poly-fill on my bottom tray, carbon in my middle (added it before I joined AA ... by now it's become part of the biofilter) and Biomax in the other 2 trays in my 404.

Don't bother buying any water polishing pads ... Poly-fill works just as good for less than 1/2 the price for a 20oz bag that'll last you months.

Any media from your son's tank can be stuffed with the biomax.

Poly-fill like what you stuff pillows with?

So poly fill in bottom.. Bio max in top 2.. then leave the other middle empty?

Yep .. just like pillow stuffing. I bought a 20oz Fairfield Brand in Michaels arts and craft for like $6- $7 around 3 months ago and I still have at least 80% of the poly-fill left ... and that's replacing my bottom tray every 2 weeks ... I stuff that bottom tray .. not just throw a few dabs. It's amazing the micro stuff it catches that gets by the foam pads ... really helps to "polish" the water. Just make sure it 100% polyester-fill ... with NO fire retardants or additives.

As for the other 3 trays ... you can leave one empty ... but I'd say fill them all with Biomax .... I figure by the end of sept I'll buy another box of it to replace my old carbon.

Not a bad idea .. crushed coral in the top tray to provide buffers ... especially if the OP has naturally soft tap water. On L.I. I naturally have hard ground water... so buffers is not an issue for me.

Quick question.how does one know if indeed the polyfil hasn't been treated with fire retardant chemicals?bcuz the bag doesn't state otherwise...

Okay tanks is running.. but why does it have a bluish tint to it? My other 3 ( 2 10g and 1 40g Long) don't

2011-09-04_20-24-08_127.jpg

Other 3 have HOB with Carbon still while this one does not.. Any other thoughts?

Fluval makes some cylindric items called PreFilter I use in the bottom of my 304. The upper two baskets have Biomax. Although, I've been considering a half layer of carbon since the recently introduced Mopani wood is tinting the tank slightly tea colored.

Not sure why you would have a blue tinge. Could it be a lighting effect?

Look like Antic bulbs to me.

I took a couple pics of the bulbs, I could not find a markign on them.. I did get the light free with the tank

2011-09-05_18-47-29_61.jpg

2011-09-05_18-47-45_748.jpg

2011-08-10_20-30-27_901.jpg

So I am not too concerned with the tint, I think it is the light. I moved the intake and outlet around as I did not want to have the hoses int he back cross the way they did (I have them backwards at first)

2011-09-05_18-48-54_854.jpg

Back
Top Bottom