Help with filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppygulp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon goldfish tank, a 55 gallon cichlid tank, am setting up a 50 gallon cichlid tank and have a 50 gallon African clawed frog tank plus multiple 10 gallon tanks. I need new canister filters on all my big tanks. Which one is the best for ammonia removal? I have never owned a canister filter before but the time has come. Any advice?

IMO any filter is good for removal of ammonia, it's the filter media that's important. In my canisters I have a pouch that I mix AmmoCarb and Zeolite crystals. And of course regular water changes will keep ammonia in check also.

I heard eheim classics are great bio filters. Repeating what ive read and have no experience with eheim as of yet (bought one afew days ago based on what i read though) Ive read with the eheims slighty lower flow rates the water passes the media slower also without anyway of the water bypassing the media.

Has any tried the fluvial 305 or the pennplex cascade?

Those two are deeply discounted right now. Any one out there try either one?

The 306 is only rated for a 300ltr max and it isnt going to be enough on its own, maybe the 406? Have a look at the rena xp3. Should be priced inbetween the 306 and the 406. More bang for your buck and lots of people rate them highly. Heard lots of stories about fluval 06's leaking and the plastic parts inside becoming brittle. Cichlids are very messy and need good filtration. You can never have too much filtration, it makes for less cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom