Help with fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salmon26

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I've been doing a fish's cycle for about 4 weeks now I have a 55 gallon tank and I use pure ammonia got it all the way up to about 4 and waited for it to drop to zero my n itrites are 5ppm my nitrates are 80ppm. I'm not sure whether I should do a water change if it's cycled or I need to keep adding ammonia I've seen so many different opinions I'm not really sure where to go with it from here. If it is needed to know I wanted to become a goldfish tank and I'm using a Tetra whisper filter for 60 to 100 gallons I have a few rocks in there and I have the temperature at 80 just to help with the bacteria I did not use tetra safestart I have it but I never put it in there I was trying to do it the natural way I guess this is my first tank so any advice you have is very helpful

Attachments

• 20180305_100633.jpg
    20180305_100633.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I'd do a 50% water change then dose around 1ppm ammonia. See if the nitrates convert the ammonia.

I'd do a 50% water change then dose around 1ppm ammonia. See if the nitrates convert the ammonia.

Huh? Nitrates converting ammonia?

I agree on the water change though, bring those nitrates down some, but keep ammonia 1-2ppm. Good call on the 80 degrees to help speed up the cycle

Huh? Nitrates converting ammonia?

I agree on the water change though, bring those nitrates down some, but keep ammonia 1-2ppm. Good call on the 80 degrees to help speed up the cycle
Oops....i mean see if ammonia is converted to nitrites. I gotta stop texting while driving at work. ?

That doesn't sound like a bad idea hahahaha to bad I can't even cycle my tank without asking questions lol.

If all goes well my soon to be goldfish better out live me

I'd just do a 50% water change. Your pretty much cycled after a water change. The nitrite will go to zero and the nitrate should go down to 40 or 50. Your nitrate is already at 80. Think your good.

So after a water change I should be able to put fish in?
Yes. As long as your ammonia and nitrite is zero. Nitrate can vary but should be around 40 or less. And make sure you turn your heat down before adding your goldfish. They like it alittle cooler. [emoji4]

So, not to put a damper on things, but the tank does not sound like it's fully cycled. Could you put fish in and be ok? Probably as long as you are prepared to test your water often and do pwcs accordingly. (not a bad practice for a new tank anyway)

Your tank should be able to convert 2?ppm of ammonia to nitrate in 24hrs. It's been a while since I have cycled a tank, but if my memory serves correct, it is 2ppm but I'm not 100% on that.

Right... you still need the nitrite to convert to nitrate. You seem to be close, but not fully cycled. Could you add fish if you are getting impatient? Sure could. You'd just be doing a fish-in cycle then. If done properly either way can be done successfully.

No way I don't want to put another fish in danger I will be patient.

I have 40ppms of nitrates just keep getting my nitrite reading at 5ppm no matter how many water changes I do. Ammonia goes back to 0 every 24hours though so I guess it's progress

Back
Top Bottom