Help with Fluval Edge 6 gallon!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_Fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have the Fluval Edge 6 gallon aquarium with 4 glofish and 1 nerite snail. I used to have 5 glofish, 1 albino cory catfish and 1 nerite snail but then the blue glofish and tha albino cory died a week or so after I got them, what am I doing wrong? I know this may be overstock but I can't return the fish. I have all fake decorations and glofish gravel and I do weekly water changes. Also what fish or shrimp would be good and easy beginner fish or shrimp that can live in the Fluval Edge? please help
Thanks

How much water are you changing? Do you have a test kit for the water?

Cherry shrimp should be fine in a smaller tank like that but without knowing the ammonia levels in the tank I don't think you should add to the bio-load

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you cycle your tank, and if so how? How long has it been since you set up the tank? Can you tell us your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?
And yes, weekly water changes are also crucial.

+1 to cycling
+1 to RCS
+1 to water parameters.
Now for devils advocate. Don't go crazy trying to get what everyone suggest might be good. Impulse buys will kill you (more so your tank and wallet) in the long run. Get the water under control first and do some research on all the suggestions you get. What fish are good together, what are not. Not only species wise, but also temperature as well. Learn more about bioloads and how the process works.

I agree, suggestions are just that. You will still need to do a little research yourself. That being said, your little glofish group would benefit with two more friends. They like to be in groups on 6+ ideally.

Glo fish ? Are these the Zebra Danios ? That's a tiny tank for Danios. I would not advise adding anything. Way too small for a Cory. And they'd probably kill RCS. Ghost Shrimp might be ok once tank is stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Glofish" can get 2". You will need to upgrade them to a 20g Long for best results. Then you can add more so you can keep 6-8.

I don't have a test kit but i'm going to the pet store tomarrow and testing my water. I do 20-25% water changes weekly. Also while im at the pet store if everything is ok I will be getting a java fern! I got and started this tank on March 16,2014

Something I'm learning the hard way with the smaller tanks is that they hold about 25% less water than their label says once you get everything in. So you probably really only have 5 gallons of water, therefore 5" of full grown fish by the crudest estimate.

I learned about tank size the hard way with 3 dead fish and a lot of money on medicines. 50% water changes every few days may be necessary. And explore a little about total dissolved solids and osmotic stress ... Small tanks are harder to control.

I wouldn't add any more fish until you have a month of clean Ammonia tests and stable pH. I know it's rough to think you need a bigger tank for the fish you already have (esp as expensive as the Fluval are) but maybe think about how to reduce the population somehow.

I don't have a test kit but i'm going to the pet store tomarrow and testing my water. I do 20-25% water changes weekly. Also while im at the pet store if everything is ok I will be getting a java fern! I got and started this tank on March 16,2014

I agree , Change 50% at a time.
It doesn't matter if your tests are not perfect for plants. Get a Java Fern. It can help the water. Just tie it with cotton thread to wood or rock.

API Master test kit should be on your shopping list or buy online.

Back
Top Bottom