Help with moving guppies to new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahsteels83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Iv recently bought a new tank for my guppies, it's 120 liters, they are currently in a 40 liter tank with 9 fry in a net on the side, iv had to buy all new media for filter in the 120, how could I safely move them? Would it just be the same as cycling a new tank or could I use some water out of their old 40 liter tank to put in the new one? I'm wanting to keep the fry in the small 40 liter one till big enough ,

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You will have to cycle the tank before putting any guppies in it. The beneficial bacteria is in things like the filter media and substrate, so putting the old water in it won't do much. I hope this helps.

I did think that I just wanted to check if there's any other way, I can't even put old media in new as two different filters

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could run the old filter on the new tank along with new filter to help seed it with bacteria. Once it is seeded remove the older filter and put it on your old tank and then move the fry back to it.

I can't recall the exact time needed to seed a new filter, though to be safe I would run the two together for at least 1 week. Water temperature factors into the time required for this.

Back
Top Bottom