Help with New Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbeland

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All...

First tank set up here. I have a 20 gallon freshwater that I set up on 9/18. On 9/19 I was given some filter media from an established tank to get the cycle going. I have had it running since then. I did a PWC of 4 gallons on 9/25. My levels are as follows...

Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 40
PH 6.4 - 6.6

Temp has been around 78-80 degrees.

I have no fish in the tank. Just some plastic plants and a couple statues.

Now what? I was told by somebody at PetSmart that I was all set and to add fish. No further advice. I was subsequently told by somebody at Petco to wait until the Nitrates are gone and the PH comes up a bit.

The friend who gave me the filter media basically said stay away from Petsmart but the guy at Petco knows what he's talking about.

How do I proceed? I hope I have given enough info.

Thanks all in advance for your help.

Welcome to AA!

You tank is completely cycled when it can maintain parameters of 0 (ammonia), 0 (nitrite), ~40 (nitrates). Have you been adding an ammonia source since you added the used filter material? You can always check to see if your tank is maintaining those parameters by adding an ammonia source and checking the parameters again the next day to see if they're returned to 0,0,~40. If they have then you're ready for fish. Fully cycled tanks will almost always have a nitrate reading so you don't need to wait for it to decrease to zero and as long as your ph is stable it's fine too. Just don't want it dipping below 6.

Here's a useful article too: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

So Im reading & learning. One think I hadnt done was add any ammonia yet. I did just add about 3ml and Im thinking check it now to see how high it goes and again tomorrow to see if it goes back to zero. Will this help reduce nitrates? Anything else I should be doing?

Thank you AZ.

EDIT - The way I understand it, I add the ammonia, bacteria eats it and releases nitrites. Nitrites release bacteria and the Nitrates eat that bacteria. If over a 24 hour period after having 4ppm of ammonia in tank the ammonia and nitrites return to zero my tank is cycled. Water changes will help reduce nitrates. Yes? No?

Welcome to AA!!

Your edit appears correct! You dose ammonia and test in 24hrs to see how your numbers look. Your first set of bacteria will convert ammonia to nitrite. Your second set of bacteria will convert nitrite to nitrate. Nitrate levels are kept in check with water changes. I suspect that you will likely still possibly see some ammonia and nitrite after 24hrs though as the cycled media has not been fed ammonia in a bit. Please ask if you have questions!

Thank you jlk. You are correct. I had previously not fed the tank any amonnia until today. I will test in the morning and see how it goes. As Im sure most people here know this is the tough part of having the aquarium though im a very patient person. Im not going to sacrifice a few fish for the greater benefit of my "kids" tank.

Ok so todays test went as follows...
Amon 3-4
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30-40

Not much change. I thought the borrowed filter pad would be helping. Do things seem normal? Advice appreciated.

Yep, pretty normal! I would test your tap for nitrates to see if the nitrate reading is coming from there or because some ammonia has been processed. Just have some patience and wait for your ammonia to drop on its own. If you can your hands on some more cycled media, this would be great, too. :)

I did check the tap water. No nitrates. I also confirmed w the city water quality report. I will try and get some more media and be patient. Thanks again.

Yep, pretty normal! I would test your tap for nitrates to see if the nitrate reading is coming from there or because some ammonia has been processed. Just have some patience and wait for your ammonia to drop on its own. If you can your hands on some more cycled media, this would be great, too. :)

Just as a follow up, I have read about low ph affecting the cycle. Mine has been around 6.4-6.6 all along. Is this too low? Also, I wonder if the nitrates came as a result of the borrowed media. I hadnt previously added ammonia, just the filter pad. Could the bb from the borrowed pad be all gone because I did not keep feeding it ammonia? Amm is stil 3-4, no nitrites, 30-40 nitrates.

yes the nitrates could have come in from the borrowed media if your tap water doesn't have nitrate. How long did the media go without an ammonia source? If it was more than a week then it's possible the bacteria died but we'll see how it goes. Maybe you can get more?

Your PH is a bit low, but let's do one test first:
Test the PH from your tap right out of the faucet.
Then take a glass of water and let it sit out for 24 hours (stir it occasionally)
After 24 hours, take the PH of the water in the glass. This is your "True" PH and what your tank's PH should be normally (sometimes it can differ from what it is out of the tap once the water gasses off).

If the glass water test has a higher PH than the tank, I would do a large water change in the tank to get the PH up. If the PH in the tank keeps falling, you may need to buffer it with something like crushed coral or argonite. but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Do the glass test first and let us know how you make out.

Also it can take 1-2 weeks to see an initial drop in ammonia, so don't get discouraged yet :)

yes the nitrates could have come in from the borrowed media if your tap water doesn't have nitrate. How long did the media go without an ammonia source? If it was more than a week then it's possible the bacteria died but we'll see how it goes. Maybe you can get more?

Your PH is a bit low, but let's do one test first:
Test the PH from your tap right out of the faucet.
Then take a glass of water and let it sit out for 24 hours (stir it occasionally)
After 24 hours, take the PH of the water in the glass. This is your "True" PH and what your tank's PH should be normally (sometimes it can differ from what it is out of the tap once the water gasses off).

If the glass water test has a higher PH than the tank, I would do a large water change in the tank to get the PH up. If the PH in the tank keeps falling, you may need to buffer it with something like crushed coral or argonite. but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Do the glass test first and let us know how you make out.

Also it can take 1-2 weeks to see an initial drop in ammonia, so don't get discouraged yet :)

I did test the tap water this morning right from the tap. Its about the same maybe a bit higher like 6.8. The pale greens on the API chart are tough to differentiate. I set aside a glass of water and will retest tomorrow. The borrowed media was in for 8 days before I first added ammonia.

Ok so your PH is a bit on the low side at least for cycling purposes. I don't suspect it'll rise from the tap test but try it anyway. What you could do, if you can, is try to get some crushed coral or argonite -- it's sold at most fish/pet stores in the saltwater section. Unfortunately it only comes in large bags and you won't need much. Put a teaspoon or two in a mesh media bag (in the filter section) or a clean (never washed with detergent) nylon stocking and put it in the filter if there's room (if not, then under the filter intake). Keep checking PH and add/remove coral as needed to try to get the PH to stabilize around 7 at least. Or as a short-term fix you can add some baking soda.

This is an interesting article that explains the optimum conditions for the bacteria: Nitrifying Bacteria Facts

Reactions: jlk
Keep checking PH and add/remove coral as needed to try to get the PH to stabilize around 7 at least. Or as a short-term fix you can add some baking soda.

So will I have to have coral in my filter forever or will it eventually stabilize? Will I have to add it whenever I do a PWC?

If you are using coral to raise ph you will have to keep it there, removing it will over time lower it again. Using coral or any other ph buffer could limit the amount of water youre able to change. Adding large amounts of different water with different chemistry will make your ph fluctuate.

If you are using coral to raise ph you will have to keep it there, removing it will over time lower it again. Using coral or any other ph buffer could limit the amount of water youre able to change. Adding large amounts of different water with different chemistry will make your ph fluctuate.

So im thinking leave it as is around 6.6-6.8 and make sure its stable. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom