Help with picking a filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrystalClear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone my name is Will and I just found this site and saw some great answers and questions on here. I am looking for some ideas on a good filter for my 75 Gal tank. I used to have a 35 gal with a HOB filter that worked excellent, but I have recently been looking into a canister filter for this new 75 gal. Price isn't a big factor, although would like to stay under 200 bucks.

Some filters I have winded my search down to are:

Rena XP3 Canister
Eheim 2026 Pro
Eheim 2217

Some have suggested to me that a Wet/Dry filter is the better route. Do you agree?

So I want to know what you guys would think would be the best. I plan to also have live plants. I plan to get a HOB filter as well just for keeping the water clear as possible. Now I do not have that much elaborate knowledge on tanks except on a smaller tank (about 10 years back), so I have been seeing things with powerheads, pumps, protein skimmers and other stuff that can get confusing. Is a lot of this stuff that necessary? What would you suggest for a great starting shopping list?

Also do you guys have a preference in a heater for a tank this size?

HOB are bad for planted tanks. They outgas co2, that is if you plan on having a co2 setup (DIY/pressurized). Ehiem for sure, they are bulletproof. And protien skimmers = useless for freshwater tanks. And using 2 smaller canisters for a tank that size instead of one large one is a much better idea. And depending on how many plants you have and what reigon they are from, most of the available plants at a lfs are going to be from slow moving water reigons and powerheads are not needed. And I second the heater suggestion above.

I havent used the visitherm heaters, but ive heard nothing bad from anyone about them. The eheim filters seem to be well liked around here as well. i am kind of partial to the fluvals myself, i have two on my 150 and they do an awesome job. a fluval 405 would be perfect for your tank, and would only be around $125-$150 depending on where you get it, or if you check craigslist you can find much better deals ( i got mine almost new for $20)

Thanks guys for the quick replies. The room doesn't get terribly cool even in the winter, but I usually try and keep it around 70 as constantly as possible.

Good to know about the HOB for plants. What would be a valid CO2 setup in your opinion? Is it completely necessary to pressurize?

I figured protein skimmers weren't necessary for a freshwater setup, but wanted to reassure myself.

I also like the Eheims and I have checked around (both internet and fish stores) and they all get great reviews. That is the first time I have heard of the C360, however it also gets good reviews online. I looking up the fluval 305 as we speak, the price is right in my range. Would you recommend two of them? They are rated for a 70 gal tank and I have been told to go up in terms of filters.

Excellent info on the heater, I just ordered one for only 21 dollars.

The guy at one pet store told me that an aerating water pump or an air pump combo would be a great addition for the tank to recirculate the water and for the plants at night. I wasn't sure about this because the filter seems to do a well enough job of recirculating the water. I plan to use a couple air stones as well just for accent and some oxygen to the water.

fluval 305 would be perfect for your tank
no it wouldnt. it would be under powered.

Good to know about the HOB for plants. What would be a valid CO2 setup in your opinion? Is it completely necessary to pressurize?
the more light you add the more likely you will want to add co2. when you get into the med to high light it helps growth and helps keep algae at bay. a few plants even need co2 to survive in the tank. in the end co2 isnt a must more so if you stick to low light set up. in a low light set up a hob would be great.

The room doesn't get terribly cool even in the winter, but I usually try and keep it around 70 as constantly as possible.
personally i like to have back ups i would run 2 150-200w heaters in the tank. just like i would run 2 filters in the tank.

I have heard of the C360
they are semi new. if i was buying a new canister today thats what i would get. i now have about 10 or so xp filters which are great in my eyes more so back in teh day when they were lower priced.

The guy at one pet store told me that an aerating water pump or an air pump combo would be a great addition for the tank to recirculate the water and for the plants at night. I wasn't sure about this because the filter seems to do a well enough job of recirculating the water. I plan to use a couple air stones as well just for accent and some oxygen to the water.
if you have acquitted filtration no pump is needed. if you want to add co2 air stones would just gas out the co2. i dont use any air pumps in my tanks really are not needed.

The more I read up on the C360, the more I like it. It appears to be not as much of a maintenance hassle as some canisters appear to be. A couple sites suggest pulling out the bio balls in them as people have found them unnecessary. Do you leave yours in or did you replace them out?

I definitely do want a backup filter as it has come in necessary before on my older tank.

Excellent point on the heater I might look into getting a backup right away just in case. Better to be safe than sorry.

Glad I am starting to figure out the co2 before I dove in with a whole set of new plants, air stones and power heads for no reason. I haven't completely figured out the lighting situation as of yet. The room does get a good amount of sunlight during the day even with shades and blinds closed, and I have learned from past experiences to not run the lights much at all. I do want to keep algae at bay as much as possible, so a good CO2 system might be next on my list

Do you leave yours in or did you replace them out?
with planted tanks the plants act as a bio filter if its well planted and growing. in mine i run sponges and floss only. the bio media wont hurt i just like the extra sponges to keep the water clear.

Excellent video, that helped me a ton. The XP3 is definitely one I like as well. I have really narrowed it down between the C360 and the XP3 and the price I have found is about the same, it is just a matter of a decision. How is your maintenance with the XP3?

Maintenance consists of unplugging, lifting the handle (which keeps the syphon), take the canister to the sink with the bucket of tank water, rinse the pads and ceramic rings in tank water and and putting back in the canister. I use fiber floss also so I replace that. Then put the hoses back on which automatically starts the syphon again. Let the canister fill back up then plug back in and you are running again! I do that about every 4 weeks. You could almost go 6 weeks depending on your bioload...

the quick release is why i got it. lol had a old mag 350 but didnt have a easy quick release i spilled too much water. got a fluval and it kept breaking. after i got tried of fixing it got the xp3. since then i have picked up about 10 or more of them. they are really as simple as spoonman says.

I was reading that some canisters can be a total hassle to maintain and clean or take apart, good to know the XP3 is simple as you say.

Has anyone tried a UV sterilizer in their aquarium? I recently heard from a friend he was thinking of getting one as a back up to his HOB filter (has a 30 gal tank). he said he heard they can provide good sterilization and clean water.

all my years never had a reason. the only thing they do is kill free floating algae and organisms. often its dirt that makes a tank cloudy not those.

Also never had a need for a UV sterilizer. Usually its a replacement for good maintenance in my opinion.

XP3 is my vote too. I have one on my 55 and I have a XP4 on my 120. You will probably get a little water splash when you take the hoses out of the top but not much. I was looking at the C360 when I first started but I could not find anyone that listed parts for them.

I dont get any water splash at all. I unplug it and wait a minute or 2 and lift up the handle and no splash....

Back
Top Bottom