Help with RED CHERRY SHRIMP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'll be getting a batch of tiny juvie Red Cherry Shrimp as well as a few larger ones this coming week and I have no experience with them. What tanks can I put them in and what are the ideal conditions for them?

My tanks:

29g:
5 female mollies, 1 male Molly, 1 female betta

20g L:
60 Juvie Mollies various types 8 wks- 14 wks + 2 Platies (male & female)

10g:
44 2 wk old mollies

10g:
Male Crowntail Betta

Future 10g: (my sons tank)
2-3 Platies

They'd probably be o.k. in the fry tank if you take the adults out, at least till the fry get a bit bigger. I wouldn't put them in any of the other tanks though, and at some point the fry will probably try to eat them.

They have a wide tolerance for conditions, I have kept them in everything from mid 60s to 80 degrees, soft water, hard water, etc, they do well in most of it.

Thank you :) was a good read...
Im wondering if the shrimp will do well in my 20g Molly Juvie Tank and also if they will eat newborn- 6 wk old fry in my 10g...

jetajockey said:
They'd probably be o.k. in the fry tank if you take the adults out, at least till the fry get a bit bigger. I wouldn't put them in any of the other tanks though, and at some point the fry will probably try to eat them.

They have a wide tolerance for conditions, I have kept them in everything from mid 60s to 80 degrees, soft water, hard water, etc, they do well in most of it.

The newborn tank they will be okay with? Will they try to eat the fry?

In my juvie tank the platies are very friendly and mellow... The Molly juvies tho are like puppies... All over all the time... They've been having babies of their own for the last month or so.... Oldest are 4 mths ..

Would the solo betta tank be a bad idea?will the betta bother/eat the shrimp?

No, cherry shrimp won't eat a healthy fry, they don't even have the tools to do so if they wanted to.

Yes, a betta will likely eat juvenile and maybe even adult cherry shrimp, they are really small.

jetajockey said:
No, cherry shrimp won't eat a healthy fry, they don't even have the tools to do so if they wanted to.

Yes, a betta will likely eat juvenile and maybe even adult cherry shrimp, they are really small.

The juvie mollies in 20g will basicslly see the shrimp as live food... Right? As well as the platies?
So only option for shrimp is a shrimp tank or in my newborn tank... Which would help
With the mess from all the frequent feedings..

Would I be able to put shrimp in my .94g "betta cube"? It's empty.. I also have a 2g glass rounded bowl/container...

It would be better to keep them in their own tank, yes. They might be okay with juvenile fish but it's still a gamble.

A 1-2 g tank is fine for dwarf shrimp but keep the water good in it. I suggest putting a lot of moss or plants in there also to help. I keep my shrimp in large tanks (40g) so that's where most of my experience is at.

jetajockey said:
It would be better to keep them in their own tank, yes. They might be okay with juvenile fish but it's still a gamble.

A 1-2 g tank is fine for dwarf shrimp but keep the water good in it. I suggest putting a lot of moss or plants in there also to help. I keep my shrimp in large tanks (40g) so that's where most of my experience is at.

Thanks Jeta...
Maybe I should pass on shrimp until I am
More balanced with this fish business... I haven't made my official order yet..

I keep my cherries in a 1.8g tank on their own with moss and anubias.
I do PWC for them every day though, roughly 50%.

I've kept shrimp in a 10G betta tank before; they had a lot of cover in moss in that tank (was kinda overgrown, really). With anything betta, it depends on the personality of the fish. Your 29G tank sounds like the best bet, as long as moss or ferns are there to provide cover.

Do you have a lfs where you could find a few juvi ghost shrimp to buy as a test? That would only cost like .50$ and drop one in each tank as a test. My local petsmarts get them in from time to time and a small lfs always has a tank full.

Back
Top Bottom