Help with starting a Kuhli loach tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WiltingSoul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I posted this info in the introduction post I made, but I thought it might get seen by more people here.

There's a possibility I will get a 10gal hex tank from a friend & I'd like to turn it into a tropical tank with kuhli loaches. It's got a heater and hood with light, I may have to get a new filter, but I won't know for sure until I get a look at the condition the current one is in. The tank is 18" tall and while I'd like the main focus to be on the kuhli loaches, I'd like to have some other fish included as well if possible. Something that will use the upper space of the tank if that makes sense. So my questions are:

--How many kuhli loaches can I put in the 10gal hex? From my research I know groups of 4 or more make them more courageous, but I have yet to find anyone give me a number on how many can go into a 10gal, let alone a 10 gal hex.

--What would be some good community fish that would get along with the kuhlis. I'm looking for fish that will use the upper space in the aquarium, make it pretty, perhaps cycle the tank as well since I've read kuhlis like well established tanks. I would also like to have live plants included in my tank, so I want to stay away from anything that will eat them.

--I know you should have sand as the substrate when you have kuhli loaches because they like to burrow in it, also that I should have plenty of hiding spots for them to destress and hang out.

--We used to have an above ground pool and after selling it we were left with a level pit filled with what they called "sugar sand" that they put under it before installing it. Can this be used in the aquarium if it's washed very well, or would be smarter/safer to just go purchase new sand?

--As I mentioned, I would like to have live plants in my tank, so which are recommended? We've got hard water out here and I've heard it's good for the plants, but I'm worried about the effect it may have on any fish I have.

--Our water softener uses salt, or I can bypass that and get water that comes straight from the well. Which is preferred?

That's all I can think of at the moment, if I have any other questions I'll be sure to add them in here. Any other advice you can give me that I may have left out is very much appreciated it. I want to make sure I do this tank the right way. And it will probably be stocked over a bit of time since I'm without a job so I'm going to try and find some odd jobs to do so I can get my fish, lol.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Kari

You cant put any Kuhli loaches in a 10 gal tank. I would suggest no smaller then 30 gallon, there a groupfish so you will need 3. 10 gallon tanks are good for community fish like Mollys, guppies, platys no tetras though.

why no tetras?

i personally wouldnt put them in a hex tank too. while they are not your normal swimming fish they are active and do better in groups. i would say 6 mins in a 20 or better yet 20 long.

tetras should go in a 20 gallon tank at min, 6 - 10 because they like to be in a group.

Kuhlis dont get that big if you get the black or regular kuhli. If you get into the weathers and giants then yes they get up to 8" however the small ones get no more then 4" tops.

Sand bottom for Kuhlis, they burrow and have very fine scales that almost appear skinlike. The sand is alot easier for them to burrow in and not slice themselves open.

You can pretty much put any semi-aggressive to tropical in a community tank, semi just means they can be aggressive when provoked or if their terretory gets severly encroached on.

Ive have 3 kuhlis now and getting 3 more yellow/blacks for color and more sand stirring. As far as hiding spots, one will do, mine pile in there in the morning and sleep in a pile all day till I get home to feed them.

Get new sand, gotta wash it real well or rinse I should say. Um take a sample of your well water and softened water( We had softened water and never had a problem in our large tanks when I was a kid) to you local LFS( mom and pops use the right testing kits most the time, where chains use strips cause its nearly idiot proof yet can be +/= 40 ppm off.)

I would start with a 30g instead of a 10. but since you got the 10, is do some neons or guppies maybe a betta and some smaller tetraa like neon sized.

there are tetras that you can get that arent neons that stay small around the 1" range, id get no more then 4 for the 10g. I have 2 of one tetra and 3 of another and the school up just fine together or within their subspecies.

I am waiting on some kuhlis for my 30g long. I wouldn't count on seeing them since they burrow. So a species only tank wouldn't be a good idea. I am getting them just to help stir my sand. My brother had two in a 10g years ago, thought they were dead for months and when we dumped the tank they were under the UGF. Just a heads up so you're not disappointed.

tetras should go in a 20 gallon tank at min, 6 - 10 because they like to be in a group.
tetras is a very large group of fish. there are plenty of them that stay around a inch. not sure how you can offer such a blanket statement covering so much like that. there are also plenty of large tetras that wouldnt work in a 20 gallon also.

Edit for everyone, I do not have the 10 gal hex yet, but I did get a 20 gal from a guy nearby, I just have to get a filter and heater before we can get it set up. How does this change things? Now would it be acceptable to get kuhli loaches? I really want a weather loach, but I've read they are cold water, would they survive in a tropical tank? I love how they seem more active and outgoing.

weather loaches i think get too big for a 20 gallon. what 5-7 inch i think. 20 gallon should be fine for a school of kuhli loaches.

I thought so too, but I figured it was worth a shot asking. Any advice on other friendly fish to live with them? My dad wants something bright and colorful, really pretty, lol.

I'm thinking of turning the 10gal hex into a planted with shrimp if I can get it. Anyone have any advice on that, or any other odd fish/creatures I could put in there instead. I love the oddities.

I am waiting on some kuhlis for my 30g long. I wouldn't count on seeing them since they burrow. So a species only tank wouldn't be a good idea. I am getting them just to help stir my sand. My brother had two in a 10g years ago, thought they were dead for months and when we dumped the tank they were under the UGF. Just a heads up so you're not disappointed.

My kuhlis are out all the time, most the day they are sleeping but they come out in the light, come out to eat and are out all night and even stay out to see me off to work every morning.

Kuhlis are best in sand though, with sand you cant use a UGF.

I have 3 now, in a 26g BF tank, I am going to be getting 3 more kuhlis and one more cat to do my sand maintence at opitmum levels. Mine arent particular to any pellet food but algae discs, other then that they eat brine,bloodworms,krill,plankton and a mixture of veggies and fruits.

I have two kuhlis in my 10G (standard rectangle shape, not hex) and I almost never see them anymore. Too many good hiding places, and probably need a few more so they're more willing to hang out. But they are alive and have grown a bit since I bought them. A regular 20G should be fine for these things; a 20 long might be even better.

I don't have any of the other loaches but I think they all get considerably bigger than kuhlis do, and need the bigger tanks.

another question, what type of filter would you recommend for a 20gal tank that will have sand? I've read the AquaClear 30 is good. I need something that's within my price range $30-40 preferably since a friend offered to get me the filter. thanks again. :)

Usually people recommend penguins or aquaclears. Personally I'm a fan of the penguins, so like a penguin 200

thanks for the advice on the filter, I've given him the name of it & he's going to lok around tomorrow.any ideas for what I could do with the 10gal hex if I get it? I was thinking I could try my hand at a planted tank with ghost shrimp. I saw them in the petstore today & they're so cute. from my understanding my fish will eat them if they're in the tank, so I thought I could maybe create a nice set up for them in the 10galhex. still unsure, gonna do some more looking around. any suggestions for odd/unique fish/creatures that would make a good fit are more than welcome.

Back
Top Bottom