Help with tank cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just to clarify, your cycle is almost complete. Just keep doing a water change 20 to 30% once or twice a day if it is high before you go to sleep.
Stirring the sand is only part of a routine cleaning when all 3 levels ( nitrite , nitrate and Amonia ) are high. Getting snails is a good idea too....

Really snails? I've never had a snail before could you tell me about them I dot have the slightest idea how to care for or even where to buy them

They're good for the sand because they dig in it and help the sand to get oxygen and that way you should hopefully not get any rotting of the sand. I got mine at petsmart, moonsnails cause the other kind keep multiplying :)
There is no special feeding or treatment they just eat what's on the bottom.

Google peacock eel, they or thin and long, a clown loch is a fish that dewells over the bodem. The tail of the eel looks lik a feather of a peacock,

This is my tank just to give you a a idee, now these fish or pretty agressive, so the eel dig his way into the sand, not all eels you can put in a African, because some of the cichlids will pik on him, depends how agressive they are. It works for me, but your tank is not so agressive I think

image-3409384758.jpg

The puffer should be kept in solitude. They tend to be sloppy eaters and are nippers.

Yeah I would live to donate him to somewhere but my lfs won't take him back and my nearest petco or pet smart is 100 miles from my home and I don't know anyone else with a tank so I'm really at a loss.

I just checked my numbers again after the water changes and the nitrite is still way way high nitrates ammonia and ph are dead on though I guess I'll just leave it for now I don't know what else to do after a 50 pwc and 75 pwc it still exactly the same.

WHat's your filtration? You have a lot of fish for a fish-in cycle, hence the levels are rising quickly. You're overstocked, even for a cycled tank. As you've seen, dwarf puffers are aggressive and should be kept alone. The Chocolate CIchlid can grow to 12" and will be too large for your tank. What kind of Pleco? if it's a common they can grow upwards of over a foot long and need a very large tank.

With nitrite at 2, that's potentially dangerous to fish. You'll want to do more water changes to get them down. If your tap water has 0 nitrite, water changes should be bringing the levels down, but you'll need to do a few back-to-back 50% water changes.

If you can rehome some of the larger fish you may get a better hand on the rising levels. Here's a link if you haven't seen it: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Stacie3972 said:
So do I need to worry about it. Lost a golbys today but I'm almost positive the puffer killed it

Your puffer will most likely kill anything in your tank. Not sure what kinda puffer you have but still thinking it will kill everything.

The spotted one. All my other fish are bigger than he is except the two he killed and if any of the others show up with marks or I notice fin damage ill get rid of him somehow.

Back
Top Bottom