Hermit with Anemone.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fullmoonnight

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went to a local fish store today and there were GIANT hermit crabs with anemones attached to them. I thought that was really cool so I brought one home with me. I've never had anemones before and after acclimating the crab and anemones to my tank (well they're in a bin that's floating in my tank), the anemones are no longer reacting to movement. They're kinda just hanging around with their mouths open. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 100_1421.jpg
    100_1421.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 100_1419.jpg
    100_1419.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 86
WHOOPS POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG SECTION.
Sorry, could a mod move it to the right one?

Im sorry I wouldnt trust any lfs owners. They are there to make money not freinds. Some are different but thats 1 in a million

Oh :/ Now I gotta get lights. I like his little anemone party hat though so I really hope that they don't move off the crab. I also hope that the anemones are gonna be okay. It's weird not seeing them respond to anything.

Oh :/ Now I gotta get lights. I like his little anemone party hat though so I really hope that they don't move off the crab. I also hope that the anemones are gonna be okay. It's weird not seeing them respond to anything.

Eventually the party hat will be put aside as he grows older, them oarty days will be over. He will need a bigger shell so buy some and make them readilly available

they could be a non photosynthetic tube anemone. if they weren't, i don't think they would be attached to the hermit. if they are, they are very difficult to care for

How sad, he'll stop his fun parties. He's actually quite big so getting him shells is gonna be hard he's about 4 inches already, he had a tank mate the size of my face and I was tempted to get that one but was struggling with shells to provide.

I really hope that they are. I'll provide light just in case but hopefully they're not so they can let my little guy party.

How sad, he'll stop his fun parties. He's actually quite big so getting him shells is gonna be hard he's about 4 inches already, he had a tank mate the size of my face and I was tempted to get that one but was struggling with shells to provide.

I really hope that they are. I'll provide light just in case but hopefully they're not so they can let my little guy party.

If your anywhere near a hobby lobby, they sell awesome shells that are clean and can be used. They are fairly cheap and they are lightweight for the hermit thats a speed racer! Haha!

If your anywhere near a hobby lobby, they sell awesome shells that are clean and can be used. They are fairly cheap and they are lightweight for the hermit thats a speed racer! Haha!

Nowhere near one. I do have Michaels though. Haha well he's quite speedy the store owner had a bit of trouble grabbing him.

my lfs gas a giant hermit that walks around in a big 4 inch shell its awesome. I'm sure you could find some pretty cheap online

Nowhere near one. I do have Michaels though. Haha well he's quite speedy the store owner had a bit of trouble grabbing him.

I believe michaels is the same thing (hobby store?) As hobby lobby. Walk through the whole store and ask the workers for the location of big shells

Sounds like a plan. Well the store I went too had one that was like 6-8 inches or so. It was huge! It had like 5 anemones on it. The store owner said he probably ripped the anemones off the other crabs and stuck it on himself.

Yup it's a hobby store, I also have some souvenir shells from Vietnam but there heavy. I'll have to go shell hunting on tuesday.

Sounds like a plan. Well the store I went too had one that was like 6-8 inches or so. It was huge! It had like 5 anemones on it. The store owner said he probably ripped the anemones off the other crabs and stuck it on himself.

Yup it's a hobby store, I also have some souvenir shells from Vietnam but there heavy. I'll have to go shell hunting on tuesday.

They just have to be available in case he wants a new house

They just have to be available in case he wants a new house

Yup. I used to have land hermits and I remember being horrified when I picked up an empty shell only to see another one moving away and being relieved. I wonder what he'll do with his anemones after he changes shells

Today the anemones seem to be releasing some sort of brown film? Theyre reacting to movement but theres this stuff arouns them

...I think they're dead. They're not muscus or jelly like what people say dead anemones are like but they all came off the crab and I think he ate one. They came off very cleanly though and are just lying at the bottom of the tank not attached to anything :/ They aren't quite decaying but they don't seem to be alive? Should I wait? They look like snails....I think they inverted?

My parameters are okay (I checked yesterday)
0 ammonia
1.24 ppm
22 degrees celcius temp

Back
Top Bottom