Hey all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BiggDaddy

Aquarium Advice Regular
just really looking for a some suggestions to make my tank better? Also looking for good tank mates !!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 110
The main thing as I mentioned before is a background.

Other things to consider would be live plants and perhaps a sand substrate.

Add some cories or a bristlenose pleco for bottom feeders.

What size aquarium is this? It looks smaller than the 29gal in your sig.

I'd move the stone structure so it's not so centered and at least double the plants. Live plants look much better than fake if you're willing to learn out to take care of them, but fake will do fine as well.

Is the tank fully supported on this table? It looks like the edges of the tank are hanging off ever so slightly (unless it's the picture angle). If you tear the tank down and add a sand substrate like Zagz mentioned, it would be a good time to reposition the tank on the table if necessary.

You can also raise the water level to the black trim, unless you are temporarily lowering the water level to provide extra aeration (as in ich treatment, for example).

I had a dwarf gourami before and he went well with my diamond tetras and red-eye tetras. I'd also recommend some cories or a pleco to get something on the bottom of the tank like others suggested. Also, that does look like the tank is hanging over the edges!!! I'd highly recommend fixing that before you have to soak up 29gallons of water off your carpet!

Hey all sorry about the tank size. it's a 25 gallon tank. no it's not hanging over the edges, it's sitting on a wooden trunk and the top of the trunk has slats of wood on the top so i had to pt a piece of plywood over it to give it a flat surface!!! It's a temporary thing i am getting a stand soon. And when i get the stand i am thinking about switching to a planted tank........

ok i am more than willing to go with live plants but i am a bit of a novice at this and i am not sure about everything that you all are talking about?? Lol .... what do you mean by a sand substrate? And most importantly can i change my tank over to live plants with a sand substrate without disturbing the tank a whole lot?? sorry for the dumb questions!!

if it does i will upgrade the tank.....that's just the excuse that i would need to get another tank!!! LOL

If you're interested in live plants, then check out the Plant Forum. At the top is a Sticky with lots of great links to information on keeping a planted aquarium. Once you've read up on the information feel free to ask questions on anything that still isn't making sense.

Substrate is anything covering the bottom of the aquarium (gravel, sand, specialy plant substrate, etc), so a sand substrate just means you woul replace your gravel with sand. Pool Filter Sand is a great option for this.

You could paint the back or get a wallpaper to make the tank look more acquatic and..um...make it sort of look like it's own little isolated ecosystem instead of a fishtank surrounded by a room.

Know what I'm gettin at?

Also you could probably add some anubias or java ro somethign lowlight to get some live plants in there. They're not too much hassle and can grow in practically anything.

BTW, the stickies at the top of the planted tank forum are soooooo good.

little update here it is with the black background !!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1572 small.jpg
    IMG_1572 small.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 143
That black background really does make the scape pop more. Great choice.

thank you, so next i will be moving into live plants.....

OK, get ready! Going planted is a wild and wonderful ride!

LOADS of information in the stickies.

I would (if I were you) put the rock to the left about 6 inches and pack plants behind it until you can barely see the background. You will want LOTS of stems to start with. As the stickies mention this will prevent algae.

You can get them cheap in the barter/trade section here.

I might even have some low light plants for you like crypt and java ferns if you are interested PM me. :)

ok so i just moved to rock over and put the plants behind it. You tell me what you think. still looking for suggestions on this. wont be doing the live plants until the summer cause i am moving next month and just dont want to start that project now.. Should i get more fake plants?? anyway thanks for the advice so far!!!

I think you will be fine with what you have so far. :) The background helped a LOT and I am sure that having the rock not so centered it will look fantastic. I didn't see an updated pic but I am sure it is looking great. :)
Best wishes to you!

a couple of my tetras seem to have developed little patches on either the dorsal of the tail fin. it looks like a little piece of cotton ??? any ideas on what it is and how to treat it??

Back
Top Bottom