Hey everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

somethingsfishy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My name is Anthony. I am a resident of the new Orleans area. I don't know much about fish which lead me to this app however, after reading alot I feel much better about my tank. So her goes... My freshwater tank is a 40 tall. I have a marineland 350 filter. I'm not sure the heater brand. My lighting is a 20 watt glo bulb. I have red and black gravel and a three armed piece of wood with a small hole in one piece which my algae eater loves. I use an API master test kit. As for fish I have one marble angel fish who needs company. Two tiger barbs an two pink kissing gourami and two algae eaters. My daughters picked those little guys.

My first question is about filters. Should I be throwing them away or trying to clean them off ? I change the filter every three weeks and after reading the almost cycling guide, I think this is bad.

Next. My water test levels. My ammo is .5 my nitrites are at 1 and my nitrates are at 40. Could this spike be caused by completely changing my filters an removing that good bacteria? Is a 50% pwc necessary or should I just monitor the water and the problem will fix itself?

Well I think that's long enough for now. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Just rinse your pads in old tank water and reuse. No need to change them until they fall apart.

You do have a bit of a cycle going. Do water changes as needed to keep everything under .25ppm. Water changes are never a bad thing and right now will keep your fish healthy.

Welcome to AA!

somethingsfishy said:
My name is Anthony. I am a resident of the new Orleans area. I don't know much about fish which lead me to this app however, after reading alot I feel much better about my tank. So her goes... My freshwater tank is a 40 tall. I have a marineland 350 filter. I'm not sure the heater brand. My lighting is a 20 watt glo bulb. I have red and black gravel and a three armed piece of wood with a small hole in one piece which my algae eater loves. I use an API master test kit. As for fish I have one marble angel fish who needs company. Two tiger barbs an two pink kissing gourami and two algae eaters. My daughters picked those little guys.

My first question is about filters. Should I be throwing them away or trying to clean them off ? I change the filter every three weeks and after reading the almost cycling guide, I think this is bad.

Next. My water test levels. My ammo is .5 my nitrites are at 1 and my nitrates are at 40. Could this spike be caused by completely changing my filters an removing that good bacteria? Is a 50% pwc necessary or should I just monitor the water and the problem will fix itself?

Well I think that's long enough for now. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to AA! How long has the tank been set up?

My tank has been fished for around six months. Been up for eight or so. I recently lost one of my angels which brought me here. His eye glossed over and he slowly just stopped swimming. Very upsetting. A website I visit to view fish species groups angel fish with chichlids. Are they ok together in a tank? What about loaches? I'm trying to stock my tank but I don't want any problems. Another thought, why is a good plant for beginners?

somethingsfishy said:
My tank has been fished for around six months. Been up for eight or so. I recently lost one of my angels which brought me here. His eye glossed over and he slowly just stopped swimming. Very upsetting. A website I visit to view fish species groups angel fish with chichlids. Are they ok together in a tank? What about loaches? I'm trying to stock my tank but I don't want any problems. Another thought, why is a good plant for beginners?

If the tank has been set up that long and is still showing ammo and no2, it is definitely being caused by switching out the filter pads every month. I'd personally recommend buying ceramic media and putting it into a mesh bag in the filter area. It never needs to be replaced and will keep your biofilter healthy and strong. You can use any type of mechanical filter pads to remove debris, but only change it when it is falling apart. Just rinse the debris off of it by swishing it around in water from the tank during water changes.

I'll let the stocking experts fill you in on compatibility, but I know Tiger Barbs are happier and more peaceful when kept in a group of at least 5-6.

Well that stinks. Been wasting bacteria and money and killing my fish. Lesson learned. Could you explain the need/use of the ceramic in the filter? I'd like to get that done soon. Also would you know of anyone who could talk to me about species compatibility? If not no biggie. You've already helped me out. Thanks alot.

somethingsfishy said:
Well that stinks. Been wasting bacteria and money and killing my fish. Lesson learned. Could you explain the need/use of the ceramic in the filter? I'd like to get that done soon. Also would you know of anyone who could talk to me about species compatibility? If not no biggie. You've already helped me out. Thanks alot.

The ceramic media is a harbor for the beneficial bacteria. Since it is ceramic instead of a delicate material like mesh it lasts for decades instead of months. You will want to occasionally rinse the debris off of it in dechlorinated water or water you remove during a pwc. A mechanical filter like you've been using is still necessary to catch the loose debris and fish poo floating around in the water. The ceramic just is a permanent fixture for your bacteria to grow on. They sell mesh bags you can put it in and stick in your hang on back (HOB) filter, if that's the type of filter you have. If you have a canister filter there is actual a built in tray which is designed to hold it. I use the Fluval brand, but Eheim also makes a good version people like. I've heard negative reviews about a product called Bio-balls though.

There are lots of members who know a lot about stocking...I know quite a bit but not near as much as others (cycling is kinda my specialty). The member I turn to is called Homedog. She's usually on here in the afternoon and evenings. You can send her a PM and link this thread to her and I'm sure she'll chime in with some good advice :)

I still can't get my ammo to drop. It seems to be stuck at .5. I don't want to lose my fish. Ive grown rather close to them. I did a 50 pwc yesterday and it didn't seem to help. I have not gotten the ceramic for the filter yet. Was wondering if I should buy some shrimp to aid the process? I have no where to put the fish to fishless cycle. Ahhh.......

somethingsfishy said:
I still can't get my ammo to drop. It seems to be stuck at .5. I don't want to lose my fish. Ive grown rather close to them. I did a 50 pwc yesterday and it didn't seem to help. I have not gotten the ceramic for the filter yet. Was wondering if I should buy some shrimp to aid the process? I have no where to put the fish to fishless cycle. Ahhh.......

What do you mean by adding shrimp? To help cycle? Don't do that...that'd be bad. Have you tested the water directly from your tap for ammonia? Lots of city's use chloramines (chlorine / ammonia mixture ) to treat the water and it can cause it to show up during pwc'. Test it and let me know the levels :)

Ok so I tested the tap water and found it to contain no ammonia. Or maybe trace amounts.( it wasn't bright yellow. Kinda tinted yellow) the tank however has blown up. The reading is around 1for ammo and the nitrites are at 1 as well ( both up from .5). The ph and the nitrates remain unchanged ( ph at 7.6 highph at 7.4 and nitrates at 40 ppm). I immediately did a drastic wc, around 60 to 70 percent. I'm going to let it run through the filter to mix then check again. I hope the fish make it through this. I'm using tetra aqua safe on the tap water.

Back
Top Bottom