hey I'm new need help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meganns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 35 gallon tank and need help I'm lost at what to do to get started setting up anybody have tips ?

Well begin with good water circulation ... Than go with the flow.

I'm not sure what all I need for this size tank and what kind of fish go good together and many more questions I'm just lost lol

Ok lol you will be lost for a little while, but we will help as much as we can. Im still lost and ive had a 55g tank since I could fit in it!

Haha .. I'm goin to pick the tank up Tuesday what's the first things I need to have and do ?

Start with what do you want to deticate to your tank (maintenance input/ labor/ cash) relative to output (enjoyment)

Make sure you have a working filter, light, and a nice sturdy stand. Next choose a substrate... Bottom rocks or sand. Than onto the plants and fishes!

If you buy a full Kit from a big store or a little store there will be everything you need.

Most kits have HOB hang on back filters with a replaceable filter pad. The thing I cannot stress enough is to keep it simple in the beginning. a few fish at a time no more than a inch of fish per gallon at the most!

Its a 35 gallon and I was gonna start with getting a few algae fish and maybe one other fish not sure what yet

Before getting fish set your aquarium up and running for if you can.... 48 hours and do a water test in the store of your water... So you dont kill them if you have something in your water. Clean water balanced water = happy low maintaince!

I was gonna leave it running for at least a week with no fish would that be ok to do

That's great, longer the better. It's good to have it established... How do you feel about plants? You have a green thumb?

Typow07 said:
Before getting fish set your aquarium up and running for if you can.... 48 hours and do a water test in the store of your water... So you dont kill them if you have something in your water. Clean water balanced water = happy low maintaince!

Sorry but that is totally wrong :( your tank needs to cycle. This means letting your tank grow BB or beneficial bacteria. It will take around a month

Go ahead and wait a month if you can ... Ive never cycled a tank and never had a problem. Dont buy a tank and put fish in the same day is what im trying to say.

I just wanna make sure that my fish I buy don't die

Plants help to keep the water balanced once its a established tank... But its a long process to do

Back
Top Bottom