Hi! Aqadvisor says...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abmorissun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
...that I could stock my 10gal tank with 6 Black Skirt Tetras and 6 Rosy Red Minnows for a 130% stocking level. This is my first serious tank and I'm fairly set on the minnows as I used to catch them as a kid. But the tetras look so nice. Is this too much for a 10 gal? "I would just need to change 50% of the water every week - no problem," is what's going through my mind. How far off is 130%? (30%, duh!).

I'm really happy I found this forum, as I'm cycling my tank now (the Ace-Hardware-way) before I get started. I spent the last few years learning to maintain my dad's pool, so I get the water chemistry thing.

I had black skirts and they are pretty active and nippy. Stress with overcrowding and I suspect you’ll be down to 2-3 black skirts quickly.

You could probably keep the listed fish alive in a 10 gal. Tank with intense, diligent water maintenence, but they won't flourish. 10 gal. Would provide very cramped conditions, increasing the chances for disease. Might consider a smaller population, or obtaining a craigslist, or Petco dollar a gallon sale, larger tank.
Note: I tend to my wife's swimming pool. Not fun.

I would just stick with the minnows and skip the tetras as they will really overcrowd your tank.

If you want many fish a 10g is not really great, but if you do nano fish you could get a few more.
Suggest you research the nano fish species. The minnows would probably appreciate more swimming room as well.

I've never even heard of nanofish. Yeah, I thought twice when I took a second look at the 10 gallon tank.

10g is way to small for rosy reds either. They can get surprisingly big and are pretty active

Yeah, the aquarium wiki is telling me 3-4" in size fully grown. That's just awesome. Just found Jonah's Aquarium - I believe it could be the least killifish I used to catch as a kid. They seemed larger then. :)

Yeah, the aquarium wiki is telling me 3-4" in size fully grown. That's just awesome. Just found Jonah's Aquarium - I believe it could be the least killifish I used to catch as a kid. They seemed larger then. :)
Could keep a nice colony of those in a 10. Definetly on my future project list.
I'm gonna do n-class endlers in a 20Long.

Back
Top Bottom