Hi. I am fibsog, and i have never cycled a tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fibsog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tan
Hi. As the title states, its true. Since december 7th when i began adding new tanks, i have not cycled them. I beleive it may be because my well water is very pure, but i dont know. And i have never lost a fish/ shrimp/ snail in any of these 5 new tanks. Any thoughts? Please dont be rude.

Well technically you've been doing fish-in cycles (assuming you have been diligent with your water changes).

Do your tanks have filters? If so they are cycling whether you are "doing" it or not. So I guess I am not sure what you are saying.

Is it magical well water? If so.. I'd like some please! My city water is for the birds..

this may sound like a stupid question, but what exactly does everyone mean by "cycling" your tank? I live abroad and have learned through another language what to do with my fish (and the mostly all the rest I've learned from reading and from this helpful site) I'm sure I probably am "cycling" my tank, but I'd like to know what is this action that everyone's talking about :)

Hi. As the title states, its true. Since december 7th when i began adding new tanks, i have not cycled them. I beleive it may be because my well water is very pure, but i dont know. And i have never lost a fish/ shrimp/ snail in any of these 5 new tanks. Any thoughts? Please dont be rude.

You have cycled tanks, it has just been done "silently". Whether it is because of adequate water changes with low stocking or plain luck with hardy animals, the tanks cycle. "Pure" well water has nothing to do with a bacterial cycle establishing. Plus, if you aren't actually testing the water, calling it "pure" is simply a guess.

this may sound like a stupid question, but what exactly does everyone mean by "cycling" your tank? I live abroad and have learned through another language what to do with my fish (and the mostly all the rest I've learned from reading and from this helpful site) I'm sure I probably am "cycling" my tank, but I'd like to know what is this action that everyone's talking about :)

Cycling a tank refers to establishing the bacterial colonies that consume ammonia and nitrite converting them into nitrate which can then be removed with water changes. Check out our articles section for more details. There are several articles explaining the overall process and various methods.

I mean inhave never done the three week process of adding ammonia, water changes, etc. yes i do stok slowly. For example, my shrimp tank started with 1. Over two months, there are now four and no problems. Man. I may have bitten off more than i can chew with this one :0

So, more accurately, you are announcing that you do fish-in cycles? I am a bit confused as well as to what you are attempting to say in this post.

As others have mentioned, the purity of your water has nothing to do with your cycle. It's a natural biological process. I am sorry that you are impatient, and hope that in the future that changes. This hobby, in my opinion, should be founded on patience.

Reactions: HN1
So, more accurately, you are announcing that you do fish-in cycles? I am a bit confused as well as to what you are attempting to say in this post.

As others have mentioned, the purity of your water has nothing to do with your cycle. It's a natural biological process. I am sorry that you are impatient, and hope that in the future that changes. This hobby, in my opinion, should be founded on patience.

+1!:banghead:

I am testing with api master kit. I am not sayin im not cycled, just saying i never went through that 4 week process. Im very impatient.
Lots of people opt to do fish-in. You were wise and careful to stock slowly, good job.
I don't think your water is magical or anything, I just think you were appropriately conservative.

I never thought of it that way. I guess i do!

Hi, i am fibsog, and i do fish in cycles.

I never thought of it that way. I guess i do!

Hi, i am fibsog, and i do fish in cycles.

"Hi, i am fibsog, and i do fish in cycles" (y) for your correction. ;)
Fishless cycling is a comparatively new method of establishing tanks. I've been keeping fish for over 40 years and I always did and still do fish-in cycles. When done correctly, they are just as harmless to the fish as fishless cycling. That being said, the processes do develop slowly and are based by how much life is in the tank. People have cycled tanks with just adding fish food to the water, urinated in the tanks ( sorry, I know it's considered gross by some :oops:) and just put a small amount of fish in the tanks. There is no right or wrong here. It's just different ways to achieve the same goal.
As previously stated, the magic well water has little to no baring on the cycle. Consider yourself lucky that you have lost nothing during this process. So, Congrats on doing a fish-in cycle correctly ( even if it were unknowingly correctly :brows:)

Something to think about:
Hopefully, others won't read only parts of this thread and think they are doing something wrong that THEY need to cycle their tanks. I'm all for challenging conversations on this site for educational purposes but you may want to be a bit more careful in the future with your headings (y)
Just my 2 cents :whistle: Enjoy your tanks (y)

Hey Andy! I've always pondered the effectiveness of a fishless piss-in cycle... That really work??

Back
Top Bottom