Hi. Newbie here!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keds195

Aquarium Advice Regular
image.jpg

Hi just joined so new to this forum. Hope this picture uploads as its the first time I've tried. I apologise if it doesn't work.
Anyway if it does this is my new/first tropical fish tank. It's 95 litres. We just set it up today. I'm taking a water sample to the shop on sat to see how the water is and hopefully put 3-4 hardy fish in the following weekend.
I have a few questions if anyone can help.
1) if you can see the pic are all the bubbles normal?
2) what fish would you recommend to start off with?
3) is my tank big enough to have a couple of small group and a bigger feature fish?
Sorry for all the questions. Any help would be appreciated.

It's ok I don't mind as long as its normal. Do you recommend using real plants or fake ones?

Depends on what you want to stock it with and your lighting. Also how much work your willing to put in.

I'm not a big plant guy but you can get low light plants.

Ah rite ok I don't mind the extra work if its worth it. I will as when I go the shop on sat with the water sample which ones they recommend.

You might want to read up on cycling first; it involves more than just letting the tank run. If you take the water to the store now the water will be fine as there isn't an ammonia source to start the cycle. As soon as you add fish, toxins are going to rise. YOu can do a fish-in cycle if you start with a few small fish but it takes some dedication. This link explains cycling and the pros and cons of fish-in and fishless cycling so you can decide which you'd rather do:
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

The bubbles are normal, they'll dissipate over time. Welcome to AA!

Hi. Thanks for reply. Just one more question. We're going to let the tank run for 3 weeks before putting fish in it. We're going to add some boxwood this weekend which has already been in a tank. Is this ok?
Also do we need the heater running while there's no fish in the tank?

Hi. Thanks for reply. Just one more question. We're going to let the tank run for 3 weeks before putting fish in it. We're going to add some boxwood this weekend which has already been in a tank. Is this ok?
Also do we need the heater running while there's no fish in the tank?
You can add plants at anytime. As Librarygirl stated letting it just run wont do anything. There's is no ammonia source to start the cycle. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and get a heater in there to keep the temp stable.

Back
Top Bottom