Hi there, doing a fish in cycle, do I change my water now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol. Your tank filling hijinx amused me. Maybe you should save your 1 gal milk jugs. You can pre-treat, warm them easier to match tank temp, and alot easier to transport. Just a thought. :)

Lol. Your tank filling hijinx amused me. Maybe you should save your 1 gal milk jugs. You can pre-treat, warm them easier to match tank temp, and alot easier to transport. Just a thought. :)
Ha! I wish I woulda taped it! Looking back I can laugh about it, I definitely wasnt laughing then :) I actually had the same thought about milk jugs! It would be sooo much easier if the tank was smaller, that is alot of water to move! Not that I want a smaller tank, it would just be easier lol. I know once this is all said and done I will be happy but right now its a pain in the a$$ :D

Im sorry, i guess i missed what size tamk you said you had. Im doing a fishless cycle on my new 55gal. I havent had to deal with a water change yet but i will probably get one of those deals that hooks up to the faucet. I will drain off what i need then treat the tank itself to create a buffer then pump new water right from the faucet. On a 55gal you have a bit more tolerance. But thats also the beauty of doing a fishless cycle, nothing dies while kicking of the nitrogen cycle.

Im sorry, i guess i missed what size tamk you said you had. Im doing a fishless cycle on my new 55gal. I havent had to deal with a water change yet but i will probably get one of those deals that hooks up to the faucet. I will drain off what i need then treat the tank itself to create a buffer then pump new water right from the faucet. On a 55gal you have a bit more tolerance. But thats also the beauty of doing a fishless cycle, nothing dies while kicking of the nitrogen cycle.
Its a 55, I rigged a hose to the sink and will be using that fill up tomorrow :) I was under the impression I should dechlorinate before adding, which is probably a pretty safe route, just impossible for me lol.

Sweet! Be sure to post. I would love to hear the progress. (Looking forward to part 2 of the fish tank hijinx...lol)

I know it will be a breeze. I was joking with you. Still post though, I AM curious to hear about your progress.

If nothing else, get a 3 or 5 gallon bucket. Those are light enough to lift up and pour water into the tank. You can use a plate or something else that is flat to pour the water onto so it doesn't mess up the gravel.

I know it will be a breeze. I was joking with you. Still post though, I AM curious to hear about your progress.
Oh I know you were :) I was kidding with you too! I will def let ya know what happens:) Just poured myself a cup of coffee, getting ready to check my parameters here in a couple minutes :)

If nothing else, get a 3 or 5 gallon bucket. Those are light enough to lift up and pour water into the tank. You can use a plate or something else that is flat to pour the water onto so it doesn't mess up the gravel.
After yesterday my decor didnt matter much to me lol. I actually dont have much in there at the moment, just a few cichlid stones and fake plants. I plan on setting it up the way I want once my cycle is complete and Im done doing these massive water changes.... I have also decided I HATE the gravel and want to do sand. I bet I will have to live with this gravel for a while tho until my bb build up, eh?

The easiest way wouldd be straight from the tap. You could even get another hose and attach a gravel vac on it then Put one end in the toilet or out the window and BAM! Diy python. Or you could go get a python... You have to declhorinate your tank before you add the water. And you had to treat for the total 55 gallons. Even if you are replacing 10gallons... Anyways good look. I have a water change to do also today. Normally I get to just sit and watch though.

I ordered a gravel vac! Excited for it to come, its battery operated.... I just hope its not chincy! I got it off eBay :) I cut a hose up and duct taped it to the faucet and gave it a test run yesterday, seemed to work great! Oh, my active filter arrives today, beyond pumped!

This mornings parameters:

Temp: 78
ph: 7.9ish
amm: .50
trite: 0
trate: 0

Time for a water change, a very easy, uncomplicated water change lol.

Easy Peasy :) Water comes out like a charm! Please excuse the dog cage, they are terrors and pull everything into it lol

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 42
Annnnnd filling! Piece of cake! Only one flood! proud of myself! Thanks for all the help my friends :) (y)

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 38
OMG! Look whats right on time!!! MY ACTIVE FILTER!!! hEY HeY HEY!!!

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 48
Good to see it was fun and your filter should speed everything up. It's all coming together lol

I would go ahead and switch to sand. Better to wipe out any bacteria on your gravel now than to get a bunch built up and remove it after the cycle, perhaps starting a mini cycle. You are already doing the big changes now, so it's better to set the cycle back a little now than to risk having to deal with a second mini cycle after the tank gets established.

I would go ahead and switch to sand. Better to wipe out any bacteria on your gravel now than to get a bunch built up and remove it after the cycle, perhaps starting a mini cycle. You are already doing the big changes now, so it's better to set the cycle back a little now than to risk having to deal with a second mini cycle after the tank gets established.

+1

I think now would be a great time. You can get a huge bag of pool filter sand from Home Depot or Lowe's for $5. :)

Back
Top Bottom