High Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkmuller

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is now two months old and it is 5.5 gal. I have one Betta and a Mystery snail. I have been battling ammonia problems with readings above 3. I am doing weekly water changes 25%. I use API test strips as well as a hang on API filter. I have tried the ammonia fix you add to water but not much of a change. My betta is doing great no problems. I am new at this and seem distressed about it and not sure what I am doing wrong. Any help will be appreciated.

Which ammonia "fix" did you try? Products that detoxify ammonia will convert the free ammonia in to ammonium, which could be what your test strips are detecting. In any event, the test strips are not that accurate when compared to a liquid test kit. You also need to be checking for nitrites as well, as they will be the next to spike in your tank. If you have not yet seen any nitrite, then is is unlikely your tank has cycled, though there is not a very large bioload on the tank.

Also keep in mind a 5 gallon tank is quite small any upset in the water balance is liklely to cause large changes quickly, due to the small water volumes.

Best bet would be to get a good API master test kit or at the least get a Seachem Ammonia Alert which will at least tell you if the ammonia-nitrogen detected is free ammonia or ammonium compounds.

Thanks. I will try that . My nitrate and nitrites have been OK.

In any case, until your bacterial population grows big enough in your filter to take care of that ammonia, you may want to up your water changes to help your fish and snail be in a healthier environment. It's a good thing water changes are easy on small tanks :) Do you know about cycling and not changing filter pads? Do you know about vacuuming gravel?

No
Don't change filter pads?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a gravel vaccum. I am still lost about cycling does this mean water changes?

Do I rinse the filter pad I could do it in the water I take out from water changes right?

The filter media is where the bulk of your nitrifying bacteria, so if you change it out you are basically back to start on cycling your tank. Just rinse it out once a month or whenever your flow slows. Use water from your tank when doing a water change and just swish it around to get rid of the debris on the media, you can squeeze it out a bit too.

Cycling is not about water changes, it is growing the bacteria in your tank that convert ammonia and nitrites into nitrate. There are plenty of references here and onkine where you can read up in fish in cycling.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I have a gravel vaccum. I am still lost about cycling does this mean water changes?

Do I rinse the filter pad I could do it in the water I take out from water changes right?

So, cycling is when you are building up enough bacteria in your tank to take care of the waste your fish produce. Fish produce ammonia which one bacteria converts to Nitrite. Nitrite is also poisonous so a second bacteria converts that it to NitrAte. NitrAte is ok in low doses, but a good gravel vacuum and WC once a week are recommended to keep your tank healthy. Most of this bacteria lives in your filter pads, so when you change pads, you essentially get rid of most of the bacteria that keep your fish healthy. Swishing them in old tank water when you do your weekly water change is a good way to keep them free of debris, and not harm your bacterial colony. Once your filter pads start to fall apart is when you need to change them, (when you get to that point ask on here how to do it properly). For more information on cycling click the guide to starting a freshwater aquarium link below. It has a nice overview and is an easy read. Hope this helps!

It does. Advise here is very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom