High Ammonia in 1.5 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My personal preference for all acclimation is the drip method. You get a small piece of silicon tubing (you can buy it by the foot at home depot/etc.) for next to nothing. Fill it with water like you are going to siphon with it and then attach it to the container with the fish. You raise/lower the container next to the tank to slow down/speed up the drip rate.

This is the most gentle method for acclimation that takes into consideration water chemistry and temperature. Takes about 2 minutes to setup and I'll normally acclimate for 30min-1hour unless it's a really fragile species (shrimp/etc.).

HTH

Well, I went into our pet store today (I actually worked there for a couple years) and lo and behold, they had two 5 gallon tanks, lightly used, on for 30 bucks, so I grabbed one :) I also bought two live plants. I can get a filter and heater for it cheaper at walmart (I hate to do it, I would much rather support the lfs but they carry the same name brand stuff for like half the price :( There are some things the pet store that I always buy there... for everything else, there's walley-world.

So I will set this 5 gal up tomorow and start cycling it. For fry rearing, what do you reccomend for a filter? Would a simple sponge filter be adequate? I hate the power filters because they suck the fry up. The Lab tech at our school uses sponge filters in his 20 gals so I guess it would work.

Thanks folks!
Jessi

Well, I went into our pet store today (I actually worked there for a couple years) and lo and behold, they had two 5 gallon tanks, lightly used, on for 30 bucks, so I grabbed one :) I also bought two live plants. I can get a filter and heater for it cheaper at walmart (I hate to do it, I would much rather support the lfs but they carry the same name brand stuff for like half the price :( There are some things the pet store that I always buy there... for everything else, there's walley-world.

So I will set this 5 gal up tomorow and start cycling it. For fry rearing, what do you reccomend for a filter? Would a simple sponge filter be adequate? I hate the power filters because they suck the fry up. The Lab tech at our school uses sponge filters in his 20 gals so I guess it would work.

Thanks folks!
Jessi[/Q]
i use a fluval 1 filter and tie a bit of spare filter sponge around the intake till they are half inch long then they are usually strong enough to keep away what filter are you using now?

The filter in my ten gallon is an aquatech 5-15 power filter. It does a great job in the ten gallon - it has a biological filter media section which I never change and I have always had great readings from it. Maybe I should just get another one and do what you said with the sponge. I've done the same thing on my little tank - but its just a tiny little filter powered by air bubbles. I was just wondering if the current would be a little too strong for the fry?

The filter in my ten gallon is an aquatech 5-15 power filter. It does a great job in the ten gallon - it has a biological filter media section which I never change and I have always had great readings from it. Maybe I should just get another one and do what you said with the sponge. I've done the same thing on my little tank - but its just a tiny little filter powered by air bubbles. I was just wondering if the current would be a little too strong for the fry?

another aqua tech filter will be fine with a bit of sponge on the intake.

Back
Top Bottom