Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Question High Ammonia in a Fishless Cycle.

I know that high ammonia <4ppm in a fish less cycle can kill bacteria. But if that has happened would I expect to see a change in the Nitrite/Nitrate readings?

Thanks
Jana

Old 04-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you do a big water change to drop your ammonia from 8+ppm? I am not sure what you are asking- are there changes in your nitrite/nitrate levels? Was this before or after a big water change?

Old 04-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No. I thought it was 8 and checked later and it looked like 4 so I'm not sure it was or wasn't 8. It has looked like4 for 36 hrs. I'm just curious if I would have any signs that I damaged the cycle ( like lower nitrates or nitrites).
Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Was your ammonia steadily dropping prior to this happening? Were you seeing increasing nitrites or nitrates? Signs that the bb were affected would be the ammonia is no longer dropping or the nitrites or nitrates are no longer increasing (depending on where you were in your cycle).
Old 04-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It's hard to say. I THOUGHT it was but now I am unsure. I have the chart but went through a couple water changes to get the Nitrites and Nitrates back down. I need to check my charts (my phone is dead) so I will recheck all of the parameters tonight and see if the Nitrate/ites are still high and hopefully the ammonia has dropped. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think we are ok. The Ammonia is below 4, possibly a bit below 2. Nitrites and Nitrates are off the chart.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like things are still on track!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Woohoo! Thanks.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbfish View Post
I know that high ammonia <4ppm in a fish less cycle can kill bacteria. But if that has happened would I expect to see a change in the Nitrite/Nitrate readings?

Thanks
Jana
I wouldn't worry at all with 4ppm ammonia. I've always aimed at 5~6ppm ammonia during my fishless cycling. Once I accidentally dosed a little too much, it went off the scale but it was still cycled in the end.

Besides, if you can cycle your tank with 5~6ppm daily dose of ammonia, then you will be able to add full stock of fish when it is done.

Tags
ammonia, cycle, fishless, fishless cycle, high ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com