High ammonia levels! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah1122

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29 gallon tropical freshwater tank. I have some rocks(from fish store), fake plants and live ones. I have a bubbler as well. The fish I have are electric yellow cichlid, dimissioni, electric blue johanna and another one but I don't know its name. My ammonia levels have been reading toxic since 6/13/11 which is a few days after I set it up. I have tried ammonia neutralizers but it hasn't changed. I cannot figure this out! I have done 2 water changes since then(one just yesterday) I always condition the water before putting it in the tank. This is driving me crazy!

You need to read up on cycling a tank. A young gentlemen named Eco will be along shortly with some links you need to read. For the moment you need to do water changes probably 50% daily, maybe more, to keep your fish alive,

The guide Mr. Limpet linked is going to be your fishes best friend. It covers everything you need to know starting with getting a quality liquid test kit, having a good brand of water conditioner like Seachem Prime...and realizing that a bucket to do DAILY water changes if needed to keep ammonia and nitrItes below .25 at all times until the tank cycles.

I'd stop using the ammonia removing products, just use fresh water and dechlorinator to control the levels. Prime will temporarily detoxify the ammonia and no2 while still leaving it available for the beneficial bacteria if you can find a bottle.

Check out the guide when you can, get ready to carry some buckets of water and let us know how it's going. Don't be afraid to do 75% water changes, or back to back to back pwc's.

I would definitely check out this link as well to brush up your knowledge on the nitrogen cycle if you don't already have the info :)
Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle and cycling. Methods for ammonia, nitrite removal.

Have you been vaccuming your gravel while doing water changes, alot of people just surface vaccume make sure you move the rocks around.. Also invest in a API master test kit for around $30

Yes I have been vacuuming the gravel as well. I have test kits for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate from API. I'm going to do another water change tonight but probably going to do 50-60%. My nitrate level is 0ppm, nitrite is about 0.50ppm.

You want to keep the ammo >.25ppm and the no2 as close to 0ppm. Both can be harmful to your fish and once you start seeing no3 you'll be getting close. As eco said, in the mean time be prepared for lots of PWC.

Good luck!

Just an update! I bought a new bucket then did a 65-70% water change! The ammonia dropped to about 1.5ppm!! I think the new bucket helped because I dont know where the other one came from! I will keep you updated!

sarah1122 said:
Just an update! I bought a new bucket then did a 65-70% water change! The ammonia dropped to about 1.5ppm!! I think the new bucket helped because I dont know where the other one came from! I will keep you updated!

You've got some more bucket carrying to do. Remember, at or below .25 is where your fish need it to be ;-)

You've got some more bucket carrying to do. Remember, at or below .25 is where your fish need it to be ;-)

Yea I know! But at least my fish are more active now that it is down! Would it be safe to do another large water change tomorrow? I'm not sure if that's too soon or not.

sarah1122 said:
Yea I know! But at least my fish are more active now that it is down! Would it be safe to do another large water change tomorrow? I'm not sure if that's too soon or not.

There is no such thing as too many water changes. You can do 75% pwc's, back to back to back water changes...it doesn't matter. Let your test kit dictate how large and how often to do water changes. Any level above .25 for either ammonia and / or nitrIte can be extremely detrimental.

Again, there is no such thing as too many water changes. If it is still above .25...get the bucket!!!

There is no such thing as too many water changes. You can do 75% pwc's, back to back to back water changes...it doesn't matter. Let your test kit dictate how large and how often to do water changes. Any level above .25 for either ammonia and / or nitrIte can be extremely detrimental.

Again, there is no such thing as too many water changes. If it is still above .25...get the bucket!!!

+1 with Eco23 ... let the water tests dictate PWC's ... until it's below .25ppm keep going ... above .25ppm is asking for more trouble.

The other thing I have to add as well is to take a look at your stocking situation. I could only find info on two of the fish you listed in your profile, but even those two alone seem to have compatibility and requirement issues with your tank.

I don't mean to sound rude or gang up on you...but I do think you need to take a step back and look at the total situation your fish are in. Please do some more research on the fish you have, whether you believe they are suitable for your tank and if you're going to have the commitment to continue the water changes that your fish need you to perform.

We're happy to help all we can, but I hope you're willing to listen to advice and do what is necessary to keep your fish in a suitable and safe environment.

I had that problem, if you have a canister filter you can use ammonia chips. it worked wonders for me.

fishlover122 said:
I had that problem, if you have a canister filter you can use ammonia chips. it worked wonders for me.

I wouldn't personally use the ammo chips. They will be a competing source for your ammonia and can cause difficulties and instabilities in your cycle IMO.

Almost everything in the hobby can be achieved with a bucket of water and some dechlorinator. :)

I do know the tank is not large enough for cichlids. The fish I have are all variations of cichlids-demasoni cichlid, blue johanni cichlid, cobalt blue zebra cichlid and the electric yellow cichlid. I did do my research before I chose these fish! They all require the same enviornment...etc. I hadn't updated my profile with the correct info.

Back
Top Bottom