High ammonium, zero interest and nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At least you went looking for help sooner rather than later. Personally I disagree with fish in cycling. It can be done without fish, avoiding all risk to the fish, and I think that is both kinder and more responsible than using fish to cycle.

It's even better if you can get some media from an established filter, and get a virtually instant cycle as a result. But not all of us have a filter to call on, or a friend with filter to call on.

Local fish stores often employ folk who have little to no knowledge, and if they can't see what you are doing or why, they often get it wrong.

I do completely agree with Mebbid that multiple changes, with some time between if possible, are much, much safer for fish than leaving them in high ammonia or nitrite conditions, which do permanent damage and likely will result in fish living only short lives, or dying within weeks, or a few months time.

I have done this type of multiple change several times, and not yet lost a fish as a result. Just match the temperatures closely as you can. In fact, I had one emergency, as a result of filter failure while I was out, and a large dead snail, so that when I got home, the nItrite spike was already pretty advanced in a small hospital tank, only 5G. I had to do four changes pretty much back to back. Only loss was the snail. Tank had a few snails, many shrimp and a few kuhli loaches in it, all remained alive and well.

Thanks for your input. Important for me to hear individual experience on starting up. Getting established media isn't possible for me so creating my own will have to be the way I go. I'm a noob so what the LFS say I'll tend to believe. Well, I will until I gain more experience in this hobby at least.

Okay, after some more reading on forum topics I went home and did another 50% pwc and reduced ammonia to 0.5ppm. Nitrates and Nitrates still read 0.

I'm not going to dose seachem stability. Yesterday's dose was all I did. I'll continue to monitor and cycle. My platies still look healthy and happy. My water is crystal clear since doing the pwc. I hope it's nothing to be concerned about as I've heard the cloudy water was bacteria bloom? Hope I didn't stop the natural cycle.

I'll try todo another 50% pwc later today.

Bacterial blooms are not the BB you need so their presence or absence has no impact on your cycle. AFAIK.
Stability can't do any harm- I use it when meds have killed off BB, when I have stuffed up and accidentally killed off the BB in a canister filter, or after a major clean and rescape. I couldn't tell you whether it actually works. :)

Update: It is day 24 of my fish-in cycle and nitrites have finally showed up. I've been doing 50% pwc when I spot ammonia above 0.25ppm the last 10 days or so due to everyone's advice here! Big thumbs up to you(y).

My results this morning were 0.5 ammonia.0.5 nitrites and 0 nitrates.

When can I expect nitrates to begin forming?

Time for a pwc to bring the ammo and nitrites down! Later!

It's hard to say when you will be seeing nitrates. It could be as little as a few days or as long as a few weeks.

I have finally got nitrates! I noticed a trace of it last night, didn't do a water change and today after work, tested my water and had 0 ammo, 0 Nitrites, 10 nitrate. Its been a long time coming, I've done another PWC and will test again later tonight! I never lost my fish throughout this process. I've learned lots, thanks to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom