High Nitrates but no algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Metalfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gal freshwater community tank that has been set up for about a year now. I am using a Fluval 303(?) filter system with carbon, sponge and media for my filtration. My ph has been about 7.4 consitantly with no ammonia or Nitrites but my Nitrates have been through the roof constantly no matter how many water changes I do. Even if I do a 70% water change, my Nitrates are around 40 PPM.

I know that nitrates are the useable form of Nitrogen for plants and algae, so with lots of light, I figured I'd have some serious algae problems, but I have seen very little. As a matter of fact, I'm can't seem to grow live plants either (that is another problem that I'm not even messing with here). Is something going on with my tank so that I can't get rid of my Nitrates or is this common? Any thoughts?

Your test kit must be bad. Water changes always bring them down. If your using the api test kit, are you really shaking bottle #2 really hard?

High Nitrates, No Algae

I have a 55 gal freshwater community tank that has been set up for about a year now. I am using a Fluval 303(?) filter system with carbon, sponge and media for my filtration. My ph has been about 7.4 consitantly with no ammonia or Nitrites but my Nitrates have been through the roof constantly no matter how many water changes I do. Even if I do a 70% water change, my Nitrates are around 40 PPM.

I know that nitrates are the useable form of Nitrogen for plants and algae, so with lots of light, I figured I'd have some serious algae problems, but I have seen very little. As a matter of fact, I'm can't seem to grow live plants either (that is another problem that I'm not even messing with here). Is something going on with my tank so that I can't get rid of my Nitrates or is this common? Any thoughts?

Hello Metal..

First, you can remove the chemical (carbon) medium if you're doing such large water changes every week. The water changes do much more to keep the water chemistry stable than carbon. Save your money.

Nitrates at 40 ppm isn't bad at all. That level will possibly give the fish a mild headache at the worst. Continue the large, weekly water changes and your tank will be fine.

For your plants, you need to research the lighting requirments for the plants you want to keep and look into fertilizing them. Lighting is critical for healthy plants with fertilizers and pure water next.

B

Your test kit must be bad. Water changes always bring them down. If your using the api test kit, are you really shaking bottle #2 really hard?

I would actually time precisely how long you are shaking the bottle.

When I first started doing API tests, I would just count. Turns out it wasn't long enough. So, now I use the stopwatch on my iPhone.

Yes, I am using the API master test kit. And yes, I am just counting and not timing it. I really didn't think it made that much difference, but it sounds like it does. I am not doing that big of water changes weekly, its been more likely every 2/3 weeks because of my schedule. The light I am using is just a T8 Fluorescent "Power Glow" bulb, but have a duo T5 on its way. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I am using a sand substrate too.

Hmm. I always remembered my dad having a decent amount of algae in his aquarium back in the day and he was using just a T8 back then. Of course, this was like 15 years ago and I know he didn't have a good filter or anything. You think that is why I'm not seeing any algae? That makes me feel better.

Definitely shake the stuffins out of the nitrate bottle while using a timer of some kind..absolutely necessary to do so..also try to get your pwc's on a weekly schedule. Good luck

Nitrate tests are more likely to give false negatives when improperly used rather than flase positives.

Algae can be caused by a number of different conditions. If I had to guess without knowing anything about the tank, I would say leaving the light on for too long might have played a big role. Lack of filtration (ie ammonia present) also plays a role.

Did you ever get around to testing your tap water for nitrates?

i think a nitrate reading of 40 is acceptable in a fresh water aquarium.

Algae can be caused by a number of different conditions. If I had to guess without knowing anything about the tank, I would say leaving the light on for too long might have played a big role. Lack of filtration (ie ammonia present) also plays a role.

Did you ever get around to testing your tap water for nitrates?

Actually, I was confused because I had such high nitrates and NO algae. Figured it would be growing like crazy. The tap water has no nitrates. It was the first thing I checked.

Back
Top Bottom