High nitrates in water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vickster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tap water has nitrate reading of 40 to 80 ppm but my tank reading is 5ppm I am one week into cycling with fish ammonia 1ppm and 0 nitrites they are both 0 in tap water reading I added tetra safe start at start of cycle I am wondering if my API master test kit is not right because expiry date says 2018 but I read that on back of bottle there's numbers and the last four are when it was produced and that means mine was 2008 and part I read said never use older than two years is this right any help would be grateful

Date should affect it as it is a chemical indicator (it works by a chemical reaction), but it may be best to take a sample of your water to your local dish store, i know at mine they test water for free. If its still wrong there are chemicals you can use to adjust the nitrates, ammonia and pH, just ask the guy at the store which is best :) hope this helps!

Yeah I did think about taking a sample of water to the pet store Thankyou :)

I would get the sample tested from your lps, and if your kit is wrong, you should probably get another one. Unless you can take your water samples to get tested all the time. It's good to have up to date supplies. Especially when dealing with your water condition.

But that's my opinion.

No why is that? I just tested it straight from the tap?

You need to take a tap sample and either toss an airstone in or stir it off and on for 24 to get it to off gas. That is the only way to get a true reading.

Back
Top Bottom