Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

High Nitrites and Nitrates

So after a month of struggling with my aquarium, trying to get some nitrites and ammonia down. This week has been a miracle!!

As I began this week, my ammonia was dropping very fast to about ~.50 or .25ppm from 4ppm. I had NitrAtes already which was about ~2-5ppm. My Nitrites were at 0, but 2 days ago I added a few more ammonia since according to this Add and wait method article it said to keep adding ammonia and to see how fast it drops.

As of today.. Now my Nitrites are off the roof (i'm pretty sure) cause I cant even tell what the ppm is from the API test kit, since 2 and 5 are like exactly the same. And my Nitrates are heavy dark orange which I'm pretty sure it's probably around.. 40ppm? Also my ammonia levels are around ~.25ppm

Sooo.. what should I do? Should I do a big water change? Or should I just wait a few more days to see how things go/drop?

Also I seeded my filter with a used filter pad from my family members tank. Should that be removed?

Any suggestions would help Thank you!

Old 01-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would just wait a little while longer. It takes approx. 2x as long to grow the nitrite consuming bacteria as it does to grow the ammonia consuming bacteria.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I would just wait a little while longer. It takes approx. 2x as long to grow the nitrite consuming bacteria as it does to grow the ammonia consuming bacteria.
Kind of confused on what you stated. I started out with good amount of NitrAtes due to my seeded filter, and now it's pretty much off the charts I believe considering the orange dark colored.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by softmushroom View Post
Kind of confused on what you stated. I started out with good amount of NitrAtes due to my seeded filter, and now it's pretty much off the charts I believe considering the orange dark colored.
You just need more time to grow enough BB to keep up with the nitrite production. You can do a water change if you want but it really shouldn't matter.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
You just need more time to grow enough BB to keep up with the nitrite production. You can do a water change if you want but it really shouldn't matter.
I thought the nitrAtes eat up the nitrIte production?
Old 01-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ammonia turns into nitrite which is then converted to nitrAte. Like has been mentioned, the nitrite conversion takes alittle longer to start depending on your tanks/taps water chemistry.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
molliwopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as there is no fish a water change is not needed. You are on the right track.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
Look It Up

Congrats on getting nitrite! Since they just showed up, you can wait a bit on the water change. If nitrites are off the chart longer than 5-7 days or ammonia conversion stops or/and PH falls under 6.5, then you can do a large water change to get the nitrites to a readable level on the chart. They'll likely shoot up again, though, that's normal. The downside is that the nitrite phase is the longest, taking about 3 weeks on average (although if you have seeded media it might go faster). Also you might want to use this guide: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling It's more comprehensive than the one you were using.

librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, high nitrites, nitrate, nitrates, nitrite, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com