High Nitrites (Fishless Cycle)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mazter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On the 29th day on my fishless cycle. Having high Nitrites. Just lost on what to do and have read and been told so many different things to do. Everything varies between reddit, forums and LFS.

1. Don't do anything and let it do its thing.
2. Dose more ammonia to 2-4ppm.
3. A 20-30% water change and dose ammonia to 2-4ppm.
4. Just a 20-30% water change.
5. 20-30% water change, and stock fish?

HELP, please!

40 Gallon Breeder, Fluval C4 HOB, 1 air stone, 1 air bar, Aqueon 150 @ 80 degrees

DAY 1 April 6: add 160 drops of Dr. Tim's Ammonia Chloride and 4 caps of Stability

DAY 2 April 7: PH = 7.6, AMM = 2ppm, Nitrite = 0ppm, Nitrate = 0ppm, add 2 caps of Stability

DAY 3 April 8: Same as above, add 2 caps of Stability

DAY 4 April 9: Same as above, add 2 caps of Stability

DAY 5 April 10: Same as above, add 2 caps of Stability

DAY 6 April 11: Same as above, add 2 caps of Stability

DAY 7 April 12: Same as above, add 2 caps of Stability

DAY 8 April 13: Same as above, add 2 caps of Stability

DAY 9 April 14: PH = 7.6, AMM = 1ppm, Nitrite = 0ppm, Nitrate = 0ppm, add 2 caps of Stability

DAY 10 April 15: PH = 7.6, AMM = 1ppm, Nitrite = 0ppm, Nitrate = 0ppm

After day 10, I added more Ammonia to bring it up to 3-4ppm. I stopped recording as nothing else was changing. Went to the Seachem forums and they suggested to add Stability every day and Prime every other day. I did this. Ammonia started to drop on DAY 22 and started to see Nitrites and Nitrates.

DAY 22 April 27: PH= 7.4, AMM = 2ppm, Nitrite = 1.0ppm, Nitrate = 2.0ppm? (Darker than yellow, but not dark orange either), add 2 caps Stability

DAY 23 April 28th: PH = 7.4, AMM = 0.50/1.0ppm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 10ppm?, add 2 caps Stability, 1 cap Prime

DAY 24 April 29th: PH = 7.4, AMM = 0.25ppm, Nitrite = 2.0/5.0ppm?, Nitrate = 80ppm, add nothing.

DAY 25 April 30: PH = 7.8, AMM = 0.25ppm, Nitrite = 5.0ppm, Nitrate = 10ppm, add 1 cap Prime

DAY 26 May 1: PH = 7.8, AMM = 0.25ppm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 80ppm

DAY 27 May 2: PH = 7.4, AMM = 0.25ppm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 10ppm, add 1 cap Prime

DAY 28 May 3: PH = 8.0, AMM = 0.25ppm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 10ppm

DAY 29 May 4: PH = 7.4, AMM = 0.25ppm, Nitrite - 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 20ppm

Why are you adding prime if there's no fish in the tank? It's not supposed to stall a cycle, but I'd quit adding it just in case. Only reason you'd need it is if you do a water change to remove chlorine or make ammonia less toxic for fish.

I would dose ammonia back up when it drops down to zero just so the ammonia eating bacteria do not starve.

You're getting nitrates which means the nitrite eating bacteria are there and starting to establish. This step is the longest in cycling.

I do not understand why your nitrates would be going down though. Is the tank planted? What test kit are you using?

You are not ready for fish yet. Not until nitrites go to zero. There's no reason to do any water changes yet unless your pH crashes.

I added 160 drops of ammonia (4 x 40gal) to get to 2ppm today.

I asked early on in the Seachem forums and that's what they recommended. I stopped dosing Prime on April 23.

It's not planted. API Master Kit, the only thing I could think of there is the shaking of the #2 Nitrate bottle varying. I haven't done any water changes at all.

Not sure why they recommended that. I'd continue skipping the prime.

You really have the shake the snot out of that bottle. Try smacking it against something hard.

Otherwise sounds like you're on track. Keep being patient and testing and you will start to see nitrites drop.

Thanks! I'll test the water again tomorrow and report back!

I second okapizebra. No need for Prime right now and I don't really see the need for Stability either. Generally speaking you want your ammonia between 2-4 ppm, nitrites no more than 5 ppm and nitrates no more than 80 ppm.

Update today.

DAY 30 May 5: PH = 7.8, AMM = 2.0ppm, Nitrite - 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 20-40ppm

vERF6cx.jpg

You could leave it be and it will go down. But what I’ve done to “speed things up” is put gravel from a friends tank that’s is cycled and has lots of micro bacteria and put it in my tank. It seems so speed things up.

Another update, Nitrites still at 20ppm. Ammonia keeps dropping to 0, and PH went from 7.8 to 6.8. Nitrates at 20ppm.

DAY 31 May 6: PH = 7.8, AMM = 1.0ppm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate= 80ppm

DAY 32 May 7: PH = 7.8, AMM = 0.50ppm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 5.0ppm

DAY 33 May 8: PH = 7.8, AMM = 0.25ppm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 5.0ppm, dose 2ppm ammonia

DAY 34 May 9: PH = 7.8, AMM = 1.0ppm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 5.0ppm

DAY 35 May 10: PH = 7.8, AMM = 0ppm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 5.0ppm, dose 2ppm ammonia

DAY 36 May 11: PH = 7.8, AMM = 1.0ppm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 5.0ppm, dose 1ppm ammonia

DAY 37 May 12: PH = 7.8, AMM = 0.25ppm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 10ppm, dose 2ppm ammonia

DAY 38 May 13: PH = 7.8, AMM = 0.25ppm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 20ppm, dose 2ppm ammonia

DAY 39 May 14: PH = 7.8, AMM = 0.25ppm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 20ppm, dose 2ppm ammonia

DAY 40 May 15: PH = 7.8, AMM = 0.25ppm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 20ppm, dose 2ppm ammonia

DAY 41 May 16: PH = 6.8, AMM = 0.50pm, Nitrite = 2.0ppm, Nitrate = 20ppm, dose 2ppm ammonia

Just checked my PH and Nitrites this morning, PH dropped to 6.4 and Nitrites still at 2.0ppm. I'll check everything else later today.

Should I do a water change?

Update: Ammonia has been converting to 0ppm. PH has been between 6.4 and 7.2. NitrAtes have been between 10 and 20ppm. However, NitrItes will never go below 0.25 and go as high as 2ppm. Nothing else changes besides when I dose ammonia.

Today I did a 15% water change to see if that would help any, nothing yet after a 2 hour check.

I do have some rocks my son gathered and cleaned with hot boiling water before adding to tank, not sure if this is an issue. Everything else is decorations and fake plants.

How fast is ammonia being converted and how fast are the nitrites dropping? You've been cycling for an awfully long time now.

Ammonia is being converted in 24 hours. NitrItes were at 2ppm for a while, and then around 0.50 and 0.25. For 3 weeks though they haven't gone below 0.25-1ppm. NitrAtes peaked at well over 80ppm 3 to 4 weeks ago, and have been stable 10-20ppm for these 3 weeks. I just can't seem to get NitrItes to 0.

The test says to let sit for 5 mins, a few times it will turn light blue right at 5 mins or a bit longer. When the drops are added it's purple though.

That's weird. Is there any way you can use a different test kit just to make sure you haven't got a bad kit?

I don't have another one, but it's the same one I've been using all along (API Master, Exp: 01/2024). I tested my tap water and that's 0ppm (light blue from drop in to 5 mins).

Just tested again, drop in = 2ppm, 5 mins = 0.50. This was after the 15% water change earlier today (6 hours ago).

I think this is a common problem when doing a Fishless cycle with bottled ammonia. I'm finding this out myself with similar issues right now. I had much more consistent and faster cycles with fish in.

I'm lost at what to do. Did another water change yesterday, 50% and added 2ppm ammonia. Today, PH = 7.4, Amm = 0, NitrIte - 1ppm, and NitrAtes = 10-20ppm.

Edit: Here is a picture of the tank. Note, rocks to the left and right of the treasure chest are real rocks that were cleaned with boiling water.

Y6FCHws.jpg

Back
Top Bottom