High Nitrites, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GingerMinusSoul

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had been running a Top Fin filter, but it broke suddenly, so I had to switch to a new filter in an emergency and got a Marineland Biowheel 350. I put the old filter media from the Top Fin filter into the new one for two weeks, but it caused the filter to leak because it was too tall and condensed water dripped out, so eventually I had to take them out. Now, when I test my water, I have a nitrite level of 5ppm, and low nitrate and ammonia readings. To treat, I have been doing 30-50% water changes daily and adding Prime, Stress Zyme, and Quick Start. The fish seem happy and healthy (once I realized the nitrites were so high, I added another air filter to oxygenate the water more), but I'm concerned the fry in the tank will not survive and that the natural tank cycle isn't happening for some reason. Even after 5 days of daily water changes, nothing seems to be changing. Help!

It will recycle it just takes time. Just keep up on the water changes as much as possible. What you shoukd have done is cut the old filter pad to make it fit in the filter. If you have other running tanks in the house you can cut those in half and add now to speed the process. Sounds to me like you've already done a good bit of research and have it under control. Good luck. (y)

Sent from my VS950 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had been running a Top Fin filter, but it broke suddenly, so I had to switch to a new filter in an emergency and got a Marineland Biowheel 350. I put the old filter media from the Top Fin filter into the new one for two weeks, but it caused the filter to leak because it was too tall and condensed water dripped out, so eventually I had to take them out. Now, when I test my water, I have a nitrite level of 5ppm, and low nitrate and ammonia readings. To treat, I have been doing 30-50% water changes daily and adding Prime, Stress Zyme, and Quick Start. The fish seem happy and healthy (once I realized the nitrites were so high, I added another air filter to oxygenate the water more), but I'm concerned the fry in the tank will not survive and that the natural tank cycle isn't happening for some reason. Even after 5 days of daily water changes, nothing seems to be changing. Help!

I've researched this lately and it seem that that if you PH is below 6 then you cycle begins to stall. Although considering you have fish I would doubt it. Also, I've also been researching and more and more it seems that the cycle stall is a myth. I will keep researching!

I've researched this lately and it seem that that if you PH is below 6 then you cycle begins to stall. Although considering you have fish I would doubt it. Also, I've also been researching and more and more it seems that the cycle stall is a myth. I will keep researching!

The pH in the tank is ~7.3, KH at ~100, and GH is ~160 according to a quick test strip (haven't done a test with the drops yet today, but that's usually how I do it. Was just using the strips for quick info here.) I don't think it's stalled, but I thought I'd see some changes after almost a week ya know? I looked into getting some Nitrazorb, but I don't think that's a good idea because the bacteria will never grow if there isn't nitrite for them to process. Stress Zyme is supposed to help reduce nitrites and is an actual bacterial supplement, so I thought that would help. Maybe I'm just impatient!

Give it a few days. If it's still stalled ( if possible) then I would tank into action.

It's hard to tell how long it will take. The prime is a good idea and the quick start might help some.

When should I get more concerned? I suppose I'm not freaking out yet because all the fish seem fine, but eventually I do want to add a few more from a 20 gallon tank that I will be converting to a goldfish aquarium, but I won't add those fish until I have things under control because I'm sure the change in environment will shock them to death.

It could take up to a month or more again I can't say. It could be done tomorrow or in 2 months idk

Find that old media (if it's damp it's still good! Pull it out of trash if you have to.) and plop it directly into the tank since it doesn't fit in the new filter. That or squeeze the heck out of it into the tank. (the squeeze will make it look nasty, but it will clear up in a couple hours). This will help a lot with speeding up your cycle. If you can't...water changes, water changes, water changes. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom