High ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_tothe_lijah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Been testing ammonia after 1 day, really high ph levels were shown. Is this normal after 1 day? Could this mean bad things to come?

Is your tank cycling?

What test kit are you using?

I guess it's cycling? I added ammonia and will test again tomorrow to see if it's decreased. And API master

Your not sure if your tank is cycling?

Cycling is the process of building up a beneficial bacteria colony in your system to make it safe for the fish.

What is your substrate? Decor?

Right I'm trying to cycle, decor is pretty typical substrate is gravel, castle fake plants, bridge 55 gal tank

Hmm. The only other thing I could ask you to do is test your tap water (from the source) and see what it's pH is.

Some peoples tap is harder than the others. If yours is generally hard, you could add softeners like driftwood or Indian Almond Leaves (The tannins naturally bring down the pH without disturbing the cycle). Don't use chemicals to lower the pH.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I got a very dark color around the level of the highest ph listed, freaked out and did high ph test and got highest there. So if it's giving a close reading at all on reg. Ph does that mean it's okay?

Hi! Ill try to help you out. First, we need to know what the ph is out of your tap. You can test it right now then test it after the water has sat for 24hrs (preferably with a bubbler or airstone). Second, i want you to test your ammonia levels in your tank. I am suspecting that you may have overdosed on the ammonia. Ammonia is VERY alkaline (high ph) and adding too much will increase your ph. If this is the case, you need to do a large pwc to bring the level down to @4ppm-any higher and it may stall your cycle. Third, how far into cycling are you? If its only day 1, you will need to have some patience! It will take a few weeks for your bacteria to grow!

Throughout your cycle you PH will be very high. Mine was reading at 8.2. Just make sure it is a stable reading.

My ph out of the tap is darker blue than the 7.6. Is this trouble? Does this mean I need to do high ph test?

Do the high range ph test for your tap water & see what it is. The ph out of my tap (its city water) always reads @8. Im guessing you will have a similar reading. I would still like to know what the ammonia reading is in your tank as well to rule out a possible ammonia overdose. Have you tested your tap for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates as well?

Back
Top Bottom