High pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac30fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
Brand new 29gal tank. I've only added Seachem Stability & API Stresscoat (for seeding biofilter / chlorine removal). I don't have any fish in the tank yet. I'm reading up on fishless cycling.... Yikes

Tap water from faucet consistently tests at 7.6 pH / Tank reading is 8.4 (ammonia, nitrate & nitrite readings seem normal, but I'm just starting the cycle). Again, yikes.

To my knowledge, there is nothing in my tank that would elevate the pH (such as the gravel). All decor is artificial.

I read somewhere that my air stone could be pulling C02 out of the water, thus raising pH. Any truth to this? I never relied on air stones before, but that was back in the day when I relied on under gravel filtration & power heads to disrupt the water for proper oxygenation.

Anyway, 8.4 seems higher than what I've seen is desirable. But I also read that maintaining steady pH is prob more important than consistently higher readings. I'd rather not use chemicals to combat water condition issues, so I plan to turn off air stone, and take more readings - but I welcome input from anyone & everyone.

Cheers,

B

You could try putting driftwood in the tank. Or if you can find peat balls you can squeeze the in the tank to lower the pH naturally

Your pH Situation

Hello Ac...

Unless you plan on keeping and breeding rare fish, then don't fret over the pH of your tank's water. The vast majority of aquarium fish will adapt to the vast majority of public water supplies.

Aquarium fish will be fine in water with a pH of between 6 and 8.5, as long as the level is constant. The water will be fine, so don't get creative and try to change it. You won't be able to maintain a certain pH level and you'll definitely do more harm than good.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

B

You might want to leave a glass of tap water out for 24 hours (stir it occasionally) and then test PH again; PH can change after the water gasses off and this is your true PH and what your tank's PH should be. That said even if it is 8.4 it should be fine for most fish; they'll adapt to your PH as long as it's stable.

Thanks for all the responses. I won't include specific quotes, but all suggestions are appreciated!

Bobby

You might want to leave a glass of tap water out for 24 hours (stir it occasionally) and then test PH again; PH can change after the water gasses off and this is your true PH and what your tank's PH should be. That said even if it is 8.4 it should be fine for most fish; they'll adapt to your PH as long as it's stable.

I'm going to test this. Thanx much for the suggestion

Update: after the 24hr tap water test, it's clear my initial tests from the tap were flawed.

Tap water is also returning an 8.4 result, same as my tank result.

Back
Top Bottom