high ph and high GH, lost some tetras and a glow fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

funchi777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, i'm new and am very confused. my GH is registering very high on the dipstick, i am using distilled water from the market in gallon jugs.
3 days ago i noticed my ph had gone above 8, i have neon tetras and had 2 glow fish, my ph insert says API ph should be 6.8 -7.2 for a community aquarium. mine is only 5 gallons. so i very carefully adjusted the ph while the fish were in the tank. everything seemed ok. 30 minutes went by, the ph was around 7 but the little tetras and glow fish were at the water surface gasping for air and i noticed the water had become cloudy(particulate). i lost 2 tetras and the glow fish, i quickly added a bubbler i had and it seemed to save the rest, i also rinsed the filter and during the evening i rinsed it 4-5 times.
today i had the same scenario but the fish survived.
i have glass pebbles on the bottom, the tetras and glow fish do not go down to feed on missed food and there is a build up . what kind of fish can i put in with them that will nibble on the bottom?
sorry for so many questions at once.
i could appreciate the help:banghead:

Hello Funchi
Be sure to research how to cycle a tank. Every time you rinse off your filter cartridge, you are killing or eliminating ammonia eating bacteria that live in the filter media. Not really a good idea to alter water parameters with distilled water. Most fish will be able to adapt to your tap.
If you can afford a larger tank you will be points ahead. Much easier to maintain stable water parameters in a big tank.
You will also have to learn how to siphon gunk off the bottom of the tank. The left over food decays quickly and actually poisons fish with ammonia.
Hang in there things will get better.

I second V. The cloudiness is probably a bacteria bloom from an uncycled tank and more than likely caused the deaths.

Fish adapt to pH. I actually keep neons and glofish myself. I have a pH between 8.2 and 8.4. My GH is 10. They are doing fine. Altering pH and causing swings will kill your fish.

Are you using dechlorinator when you rinse your filter or using Distilled water? As V said, you shouldn't rinse it until you are cycled.

Get a siphon, like a Python siphon to clean up your gravel during water changes.

I'd generally advise to stick to a schedule of 50% water changes every other day until you are cycled. Idk what your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are but this schedule should get you by. If you are getting bacteria blooms (cloudy water) every day then plan on doing 50% water changes daily.

Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom