High PH levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camluckey55g

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got my 55 gallon tank about 1 week ago and I tested my water and my PH was super high. Does any one know if this is normal for a new tank?

Attachments

• image-3225179854.jpg
    image-3225179854.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 34
camluckey55g said:
I got my 55 gallon tank about 1 week ago and I tested my water and my PH was super high. Does any one know if this is normal for a new tank?

Get freshwater buffer

Hi! I think a pH of 7.6 is fine for keeping most tropical fish (I'm assuming you're getting tropical fish) I'm still sort of a newbie to this, but I also have pH of 7.6, so I think you'll be okay! (y) It's a bit odd though that the test result color was darker than that of the card...I'm not sure about that

Have you tested the water directly out of the tap? That's probably just the PH of the local water supply.
My tap's and tank's PH is 8.2, btw, and my fish are fine. I just acclimate them more slowly when I get new fish.

7.6 is the high limit on the ph test. This means your ph may be 7.6 or it may be any number higher than this. Please check your ph with the high range test. You should check your tap for all of your parameters as well.

7.6 is the high limit on the ph test. This means your ph may be 7.6 or it may be any number higher than this. Please check your ph with the high range test. You should check your tap for all of your parameters as well.

jlk, It looks like there are two rows of color readings. the second row which is partly blocked in the photo shows the readings above 7.6, up to 8.? ... cant make it out from the photo.

that 7.6ph is quite acceptable to most fish. I would just keep it steady at that, it's fluctuations in ph that will cause problems for your fish.

you can try testing your water straight from the tap. then let the water sit for 24 hours and test again and let us know the results.

The pic shows the regular ph test with a 7.6 reading. The high range bottle is a different color and uses the second row of colors. We need to know what the high range ph test reads because I suspect the ph is above 7.6.

The pic shows the regular ph test with a 7.6 reading. The high range bottle is a different color and uses the second row of colors. We need to know what the high range ph test reads because I suspect the ph is above 7.6.

Ah ok that makes sense, this works a bit different to the kit I use. jlk is correct. you need to test again with the high range bottle to confirm what your actual ph level is as it may be above 7.6

Hi! I think a pH of 7.6 is fine for keeping most tropical fish (I'm assuming you're getting tropical fish) I'm still sort of a newbie to this, but I also have pH of 7.6, so I think you'll be okay! (y) It's a bit odd though that the test result color was darker than that of the card...I'm not sure about that

Doing some test on my tank that's not fully cycled & I have the same issue. Have a liquid freshwater masters kit with tropical fish. My readings aren't on the colored chart. Is this bad & what to do from here ? Assume more test & wc but why the colors are different idk

image-4080928522.jpg

I just tested regular ph as well & mine looks identical to your pic. A darker blue. My tanks also fairly new so I'm assuming its something with our new tanks or our water from the facet ( I know I have really hard water here). I'm not sure if this is a big concern or if we need to drop it & how to do so. I picked up some correct ph fizz tabs yesterday & thinking of adding them & see if it helps. But I've heard numerous ppl say they've never heard anyone that wants to lower ph, usually raise it if anything. Any help appreciated

as i see the water is only supposed to go up to the white line on the test tube. and the water should be taken from half way down in your tank... just an observation

as i see the water is only supposed to go up to the white line on the test tube. and the water should be taken from half way down in your tank... just an observation

Ok thanks. Again I didn't know that. I do fill it to the white line on the test tube, but pulling the water off the top. Another lesson learned today. Ty

Back
Top Bottom