High Tap Water PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Promisedsin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 10 gallon tank and recently finished cycling my new 4 gallon tank. i got pea puffers for the 4 gallon tank. i did, as instructed, a 50% water change (2 gallons.) i then introduced my 2 pea puffers to the tank and had to leave for school. i got back and the two pea puffers looked nearly dead. i transferred the pea puffers to my 10 gallon tank and both recovered and are playful. i tested my 4 gallon tank and found out my ph was at 7.8, which is the same as my houses water. the ph in my house used to be fine, but recently rose for an unkown reason. i would like to know if anyone has and ideas on how to reduce ph for water changes and in my tank. All other levels in my tank were at zero.

well if it cycled it should show nitrates. even the higher ph will be fine if adjusted slowly. though i wouldnt be as quick to blame ph.

newly tested, showed 5ppm for nitrates and 0 for everything else and ph of 7.8 both pea puffers are doing great in the 10 gallon. i'm wondering if its something else.

I would try again but this time when you tranfer them put them in a big bg with water then float the bag like you do but add water gradually so they can adjust to the higher level of PH then in you 10 gal

I'm assuming you dechlorinated the water in the new tank.

Generally fish will adjust to different pH levels with proper acclimation. There are some exceptions, but that's the general rule.

I really prefer the drip acclimation method to floating fish. It takes a little longer, but it has many fewer drawbacks.

Back
Top Bottom