HOB filter question for oceanic tank owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

finny al

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a 37 gallon oceanic cube that I have been running a jebo odyssea cs4 canister on for over 2 years. The canister has begun to leak from both the outlet valve and from around the seal where the canister and motor head come together :( ....I am thinking of just getting a HOB instead of the expense of another canister.....here's my question- the oceanic has a larger plastic framing around the top of the tank than most other tanks.....therefore, the HOBs that I have tried in the past won't fit properly on the frame and have to hang crooked (the side with the intake tube will not fit all the way over the tank frame)....can anyone tell me a brand of HOB that will fit over the frame?

I am not sure about a HoB, but I know that my Rena XP works great. You goulg get a new XP2 for around 80 dollars and be a happy camper for a long time :)

cube

If you want a HOB, an Emperor 280 fits on my 30 gal Oceanic cube. An Aqua Clear, my first choice, would not fit. But the Emperor works well and has plenty of adjustable flow. But if I decide to upgrade, a Rena or Fluval cannister is likely. Good luck, and hard to fit or not, those Oceanic tanks are built like anvils!!!!!

Hi, I have a new oceanic 58 gallon tank just set up yesterday. Yes, it has a larger plastic framing around the top of the tank. I bought an AqueClear 70 filter and it doesn't fit well, the water flow to the top glass cover. Then I decided the position I want to put the filter and cut two spots on the inside of the plastic frame of the tank, all about 1/4" deep. The cut on one spot is about 1/4" wide, another spot for the filter's intake tube is about 1 and half inch wide. Now the filter fit the tank frame perfectly. The water won't flow to the top glass cover either.

But you can't move the HOB filter to other position anymore, unless you cut more frame. For me, I don't move the filter around, so this is not an issue.

aa

I looked at my tank real hard and considered cutting it for the AC. But it looked like the cut would extend into the sealant just a bit ...... and I chickened out. lol So I put the Emperor back on and used the AC in another tank. Glad it worked out for you, gu2high!

I wonder you might considering to cut the top outside frame which has sealant to glue to the tank glass. I don't think you should cut it. But, the inside frame is very close to the top and extended inside about 10mm in order to support the glass cover. I don't see any sealant on or below it (it is not attached to glass. BTW, you won't fill the tank to that tall to let the tank water to touch the glass of the cover. Even you do, it won't leak as it is irrelevant.) Besides, I only cut about 3-4mm deep. It definitely won't cause any harm to anything.

I don't know your tank and filter, if it is the same design and similar size AC filter, I am very sure that it is safe to cut/peel off a little bit of inside frame.

The emperors will fit on anything that's 2 inches or smaller for the lip. I measured my Emperor 280.

Also measured my 400's, just over an inch. The 280 has a wider opening.

Back
Top Bottom