HOB or Canister filter for 40B?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slammed01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, thinking of doing a small stock of dwarfcichlids in a 40B. All I need left is a filter. Aquaclear 70, AC 110 or a SunSun 304?

Always ran emperor 400s without issue minus a noisy propeller.

I run two A.C. 110's on my severely overstocked display tank. The water stays clear and the fish are thriving. I still use a 19 year old Marineland Emperor 280 bio wheel on my backup tank. It does a good job too. My only experience with a canister filter was a Marineland Magnum 330. Great filtration, very labor intensive cleaning.
I would recommend the A.C. 110. Once you make it through the initial month of vibration noises and master the little noise making quarks, it works really well. It takes about two minutes to clean. It holds a large amount of filter material, even more if you take out the charcoal. I've got to admit that the new Fluval canisters are tempting and I'm considering buying one. not because i need it. Just one more gizmo to play with.

Of your three choices above I would choose the AC110 if you like HOBs. They are economical and proven effective. They have a design that allows for media flexibility.

Lately I have been installing Seachem Tidals because they are self-priming and have excellent flow controls. That being said, they are new and have no proven track record.

My personal feelings canister vs hob filters are:

Canister
  • They are quiet(usually)
  • They minimize evaporation
  • They have large amounts of media capacity
  • You can get large amounts of flow, even in deep tanks, without the use of powerheads/pumps
  • They let you get mess out of the tank and allow the use of in-line heaters
  • They will leak if you don't care for the properly or get low quality canisters
  • The don't need to be cleaned as often but are more work to clean, some designs are easier to clean than others
  • They are more expensive than an HOB of similar quality
HOB
  • They need to be cleaned more frequently but they are much easier to clean
  • They are inexpensive
  • They are also easy/inexpensive to sterilize if you get something nasty in QT
  • They provide good flow in a small tank and all the ones I use have some type of variable flow control
  • They stick out the back of your tank often making it further off the wall
  • They get in the way of certain canopies
  • They can be noisy
  • They may not restart after a power outage

In an aquarium the size of a 40br, if you don't mind the noise and appearance of an HOB, it is going to be a cheaper and easier to deal with.

My personal belief on canister filters is don't go cheap. If they leak, they will drain the tank down to the opening on the intake tube which is often about ~75% of the water in the tank.

Thank you!!! Missed a $52 sale at saltwateraquarium.com the other day for AC110 [emoji45]

Hello Sla...

I use a couple of dual sponge filters for $15.00 and do large, frequent water changes. The water changes do a much better job of keeping the tank water clean than anything mechanical.

B

Thank you!!! Missed a $52 sale at saltwateraquarium.com the other day for AC110 [emoji45]

That would have been a good price. It is labor day weekend so someone is bound to have a sale. A couple of stores are offering 15% off but I haven't seen $52 anywhere.

Stand isn't shippinh until 10/6 from dr fosters so I got time. Got a aqueon pro 150w heater yesterday on a sale and petco pals.

Why not both? I'll be setting up a 40B with an Aquaclear 70 and a Marineland Magniflow 220. That way, if one breaks down, I still have the other filter to carry the load.

Back
Top Bottom